Talk

Advanced search

Portion sizes

(13 Posts)
ElodieS Tue 31-May-16 21:34:13

Can I ask how much you all eat? I was told at the weekend that me and DP have ridiculously large portions. We're both quite active and reasonably slim, I'm a size 10 and weigh around 60kg, DH is possibly slightly slimmer. DH usually has a slightly bigger portion of carbs than me. I'm 11 weeks pregnant at the moment, but eating about the same as usual. We generally feed DTs (4yo) early then eat together after they've gone to bed, except at the weekends when we all eat together.

No idea re: calories etc, but this was my plate this evening: half poussin, roast veg, steamed broccoli and roasted sweet potato wedges.

ElodieS Tue 31-May-16 22:41:09

Should have said I'm 173cm tall.

Blondie1984 Tue 31-May-16 23:26:21

Generally, and assuming you aren't following any specific diet, you want to split your plate so its half veg/salad, and then 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs so, looking at your plate it doesn't look like you are too far off that from a proportion perspective - perhaps a bit too much protein

It's hard to judge the size of your portion without knowing the size of your plate however if what you have is a fairly normal size dinner plate then it does look like your have quite a large portion there ...

BUT this all depends on what else you eat in the day - if you are having quite light breakfasts and lunches then it's not unreasonable to have a larger dinner....how do you feel after having eaten this sort of size portion? Really full or like you could fit in a bit more?

I'm curious as to who said your portions were unreasonably large?

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 31-May-16 23:30:10

meh, it's all good stuff though, not like you're scoffing a big pizza and chips. Calorie wise, I doubt that plateful is a massive amount.

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Tue 31-May-16 23:32:14

Sounds and looks fine, for you, but I'd only have either the chicken leg or supreme without feeling like I'd OD'd on meat.

hownottofuckup Tue 31-May-16 23:35:42

It looks like a big plate of food to me. But other people think I serve up ridiculous child sized portions.
Looks lovely though, and good and healthy too.

Kummerspeck Tue 31-May-16 23:39:45

The plate doesn't look very big to me in relation to the broccoli so I think it looks fine

If you are slim and healthy then it is fine anyway and the opinions of others shouldn't matter

ElodieS Wed 01-Jun-16 07:00:44

Thanks all! It was a friend who came over to dinner, and not in a particularly rude way. I have wondered myself to be honest when eating at other's houses and looking at our shopping bill...confused

I'd say the plate is fairly standard size. I tend to have a normal size (!?) bowl of muesli for breakfast and a sandwich with a bit of side salad for lunch, then snack on fruit and biscuits between meals the day. I wouldn't say I'm unclear uncomfortably full after our evening meal, but I'm not after more either and we never have dessert.

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jun-16 07:38:55

As you are reasonably tall and are slim so it would appear that your diet is fine, surely?

ElodieS Wed 01-Jun-16 10:35:15

That's what I'm hoping soupdragon, but don't want it all to catch up with me later!

seeyounearertime Wed 01-Jun-16 10:40:34

have you ever read the "hand" theory of portion control?
It's....... handy.......
grin

www.livestrong.com/blog/a-quick-and-easy-way-to-estimate-portion-size/

It's what i try to stick too, it's easy to follow and involes no counting etc.
Mind you i do use it as a guide more than a rule.

ElodieS Wed 01-Jun-16 10:50:05

That's really helpful seeyounearertime, thank you! I'm definitely having too much by those standards. DP probably isn't quite getting enough either... can't believe blokes get to have double the amount that we do, oops!

annielostit Thu 02-Jun-16 15:17:43

I'd stick to what your doing. If your hungry after dinner you'd eat more rubbish . I'd eat the same as you irt portion☺

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now