Healthy food for munching on while watching telly in bed?

(13 Posts)
DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Tue 31-May-16 15:03:50

I always manage to eat relatively healthy during the day but have a ridiculous weakness for eating crap while watching telly in bed of an evening blush Thankfully, I can no longer eat choccy, so I've already kicked my giant galaxy bar habit. My new drug of choice is large bags of delicious salty savoury crisps and occasionally cakey bun type sweet stuff. I've tried replacing the crisps with popcorn but given that I would eat a huge bowl of that to myself too, it negates the whole 'being healthy' aspect. If I fancied a biccie, I would take the whole pack up with me. I think my biggest problem is texting dh to bring the junk food home with him. If I ask him to bring some crisps, he'll bring 3 packs and an apple tart. I don't buy it as a rule myself when shopping as I know it only leads to me pigging out. What can I eat that will satisfy the savoury monster in me without being too unhealthy? I've heard that roasted chickpeas are delicious. Will crudites with hummous really do the job? Hmmmm.....

Blondie1984 Tue 31-May-16 16:02:26

It would depend on how much hummus you ate ...if you had the whole pot then really it isn't much better...

Are you actually hungry or is it more a habit you have gotten into? If it's the latter then perhaps that's something you need to think about and maybe find alternative strategies or things to do ....

TheMagicToyshop Tue 31-May-16 16:28:50

Yeah it sounds more like you're eating from habit and boredom. I do this too and find a hobby that keeps my hands busy is really useful - cross stitch, knitting, crochet or even those adult colouring books are great to do in front of the TV.
If I really can't resist snacks I find 2-3 hard boiled sweets or mints can take the edge off, although I know this isn't great for my teeth so should be more of an occasional thing.

DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Tue 31-May-16 17:01:47

Yeah it's totally out of habit. It's an enjoyable habit though! If I didn't have something to munch on then I just wouldn't enjoy it as much. In fairness, I don't drink or smoke so crap in front of the telly and endless cups of tea are my only vice grin I wonder if I could make a healthy version of bombay or trail mix?

Blondie1984 Tue 31-May-16 17:10:43

How about the crudités with salsa rather than hummus?

FauxFox Tue 31-May-16 17:17:33

kale crisps? (Disclaimer - I have not and probably never will try these grin)
Chunks of melon?
Frozen yoghurt?
Greek yoghurt with honey and nuts?
Popcorn but pop your own so you can do a small portion and add flavours like parmesan and black pepper or sugar and cinnamon?

DubiousCredentials Tue 31-May-16 17:24:53

I like to eat sugar snap peas or a bag of shredded iceberg lettuce blush I realise I am a huge twat.

SquidgeyMidgey Tue 31-May-16 18:08:52

Beetroot (pickled or plain) or gherkins with a tiny piece of cheese or seeded crackers.

FawnDrench Tue 31-May-16 19:12:18

Silverskin onions are a good savoury healthy-type snack, and they've got a lovely zingy taste.

Hardly any calories, unless you eat the whole jar, or as I've done at times, have a large wedge of Stilton as an accompaniment.

HooseRice Tue 31-May-16 19:21:12

Great big glass of iced water and a straw.

Disregardme Tue 31-May-16 19:52:50

Ive recently discovered roasted chickpeas. I sprinkle black pepper on them, they are delicious.

DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Tue 31-May-16 23:29:25

Ooh yes, I love homemade salsa so could definitely use that as a dip! And I like the idea of the Greek yoghurt with accompaniments too. I love silverskin onions and pickles. Would have never thought to bring a jar of them to bed but then again, why not?? grin They will probably have the added benefit of working as a contraceptive

My lidl was sold out of roasted chickpeas today sad Is there a way of making them from tinned chickpeas or would I have to buy them dried, I wonder?

Disregardme Fri 03-Jun-16 09:47:35

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1958/olive-oil-roasted-chickpeas.aspx smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now