Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tonight's dinner experiments: a success and a failure

(4 Posts)
hesterton Sun 29-May-16 20:07:08

So I am playing around with ingredients from a farm shop.

My failure was my first attempt to cook globe artichokes. Dunno what I did wrong - I wanted us to be able to peel off the 'leaves' and scrape the tender flesh with bottom teeth as I had done in France as a teenager. It was all a bit manky. A bit boiled cabbagey and an odd texture. The heart was ok but not the delicacy I recall. Overall very disappointing. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I could have improved it?

The success was roast radish quaŕters with roast shallots - the long French ones cut into four pieces lengthwise. Served with a cashew nut and lemon dip blitzed up in the nutribullet with some water to thin it slightly. I roasted the veg with young thyme from the garden. I'd add some little roast new potatoes next time for a more substantial meal.

It was nicer than it sounds!

Hassled Sun 29-May-16 20:11:16

I've had similar disappointment with globe artichoke. I remember having it as a kid in France - dunking the ends in vinaigrette - and it was just lovely. At home it was yes, a bit cabbagey.
I like the sound of the radish thing. Radishes are under-rated.

hesterton Sun 29-May-16 20:14:27

They are, I agree. Lovely raw, specially those oval French breakfast ones. Today is the first time I have ever cooked them. They lose their 'bite' and are mellower like beets. A different thing to the raw ones.

I usually buy a big bunch then end up eating half raw and chucking the rest as it's too much - and they can go soft quite quickly. So now I think I'll eat half raw and roast the rest.

Blondie1984 Sun 29-May-16 23:44:36

Globe artichokes can be tricky - but i've followed this Delia method and they normally turn out pretty well

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/mediterranean/middle-eastern/globe-artichokes-with-shallot-vinaigrette

I don't always bother with the vinaigrette though - melted butter is just as good for dunking them in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now