Talk

Advanced search

Nutritional yeast flakes

(12 Posts)
babyconverse Fri 27-May-16 19:47:54

Bought some to make vegan mac n cheese - I'm allergic to dairy - and wondering if people have good recipes which use them?

I have to say I'm very intrigued as they seem quite yummy - but I really need to stop eating them out of the tub.

ComaToes Fri 27-May-16 19:53:01

They're nice sprinkled on pasta with tomato sauce (red lentil bolognese is especially good).

Blondie1984 Fri 27-May-16 23:20:08

Try the Deliciously Ella website - i imagine she must have a few

whois Sat 28-May-16 13:38:00

Search for recipes with 'nooch' because the Americans call it that.

I bought some to use in vegan stuff and found them disgusting! Even the smell of the pack made me want to retch!

whois Sat 28-May-16 13:38:52

You can make a vegan Parmesan with nooch - that might be good if you are dairy free.

mommybunny Sat 28-May-16 20:47:51

The Oh She Glows website has some recipes with "nooch" in them. Where did you get yours if I may ask?

kennythekangaroo Sat 28-May-16 21:01:58

I add them to lots of pasta dishes. You can make a cheese-ish sauce with them. They thicken up tomato sauces nicely too.

glub Sat 28-May-16 21:06:11

I don't have any recipes sorry just a warning not to eat too many in one go! I once had three tablespoons - an overdose of one of the b vitamins. It passes with a drink of water to help flush it through but very unpleasant nonetheless

babyconverse Mon 30-May-16 02:50:52

Independent health food shop I'm afraid - but I have seen them on amazon in the past too

bigboypants Mon 30-May-16 10:57:34

I just got some of these as my dd has a dairy allergy and I'm making a gradual move towards a vegan diet.

I made a 'parmesan' with them from the Minimalist Baker blog and then used some of that in some pesto. Had the pesto on a pizza with a bit of tomato sauce and some roasted veggies and sprinkled some more of the 'parmesan' on top when it was done. It was pretty tasty and I didn't have that horrible greasy bloated feeling I normally would after a pizza.

EDisFunny Mon 30-May-16 11:07:44

They make a delicious vegan gravy - loads of recipes on line.

whois Mon 30-May-16 11:22:37

I got them from Amazon mommybunny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now