Talk

Advanced search

How should I make trifle?

(11 Posts)
SharingMichelle Thu 26-May-16 16:49:15

I've read 101 recipes online and they're all different and I'm confused so now I'm asking you.

Proper trifle that the kids will be excited about. Not boozy (I'm also doing a boozy fruit posh trifle for grown ups).

I've got:

Strawberries and bananas
Custard
Whipping cream
Strawberry jelly
Pound cake from the supermarket.
Plus sundry other stuff you'd expect to find in a cupboard - sprinkles and chocolate and jam and stuff...

What EXACTLY do I do, and in which order should I do it?

And (for bonus points) how much of it can I do the night before?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 26-May-16 16:54:42

don't bother with trifle for kids...make Knickerbocker Glorys instead

Tall glass, drizzle in masses of chocolate sauce
drop in mini muffin/large marsh mallow/broken cookie/crumbled cake

then layer at will with jelly/ice cream/chopped fruit/sauce/biscuit/custard/more sauce

must be topped with a GIANT whirl of squirty cream and a flake!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 26-May-16 16:55:52

and garnish with all the sprinkles! of course!

SharingMichelle Thu 26-May-16 17:17:02

Haha - never change Mumsnet! grin

How do you make trifle?
You don't want to make a trifle, make this other thing instead!

I love it, and the knickerbocker things do sound glorious but trifle I have promised and trifle I must make. I found a mad lady on youtube making something horrific from the 70s and thought that looked about right.

I've make jam sandwiches with my pound cake and covered in jelly with some tinned peaches and put in the fridge. Tomorrow I will slice a load of bananas, put on custard, top with whipped cream and decorate with fresh strawbs and sprinkles and chocolate shavings.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 26-May-16 17:19:22

I use blancmange instead of custard.

Fruit and/or sponge in the bottom. Jelky next. Custard and/or blancmange on top of that. Cream on top of that, and finally sprinkles.

Blondie1984 Thu 26-May-16 17:20:28

I don't bother with jelly in mine but instead I do

Bottom layer of sponge

Then I would take half your strawberries and put them in a pan with a little icing sugar and water over a low heat until the juices start to run - spread this on top of the sponge and leave it to soak for about an hour then top with the rest of the strawberries

Next I would do a layer of custard - then leave till that's fairly set

Top with whipped cream and anything else you want ....I don't use bananas as they discolour but up to you

I would do everything the day before except topping with cream

Xmasbaby11 Thu 26-May-16 17:20:40

That sounds delicious! I'm now trying to think of an occasion for making a trifle!

5Foot5 Thu 26-May-16 22:43:17

My recipe is almost the same as Blondie.
For preference I use Swiss Roll for the base and raspberries instead of strawberries. But given the ingredients you have that sounds fine o me. Definitely no jelly

pieceofpurplesky Thu 26-May-16 22:51:36

I do jelly and sponge with fruit, custard and cream.

I also do a tropical trifle. Jelly with Malibu over cake with pineapple and mango
That has been soaked in Malibu. Custard and coconut cream. To die for.

cdtaylornats Thu 26-May-16 22:58:02

Even not using booze you need to soak the cake in something

BlueKarou Thu 26-May-16 23:10:37

Don't forget the layer of beef sauteed with peas and onions.

This is a recipe to not follow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now