Food Enriched with Omega 3...What do you think?

(10 Posts)
emarlow279 Tue 24-May-16 15:23:47

Hi All,

I am a PhD student doing a college project on adding omega 3 to the diet, through meat which is enriched with omega 3 (by feeding it more nutritious stuff) rather than having to take additional supplements.

I was just wondering if any of you lovely mums could give me your opinion on this, have you heard of it or would it be something you're interested in?
Apologies for the random question, but I would really appreciate any help you can give me on the matter smile.

Blondie1984 Tue 24-May-16 16:52:15

You can already buy products like this however you would have to eat so much of them in order to get anywhere near the recommended intake of omega 3 that it's pointless - and often they are more expensive...so giving a supplement just makes more sense...
Also I'm not sure about them doctoring foods like that.....

emarlow279 Wed 25-May-16 13:49:28

I'm just wondering what food are you referring to, I only know of fish fingers??

I agree with the points you are raising, I think the idea is to feed animals more nutritious feed rather than some of the rubbish they do atm so it is naturally a bit more nutritious.

Thanks for your reply, it helps to get a different point of view smile

Dixxie Wed 25-May-16 14:02:34

Just another marketing gimmick, stop messing with our food. It's doubtful that food companies would use good quality EPA and DHA and they are generally adding it to processed food, which in itself isn't healthy.

If we need omega 3, it's better to get it naturally - we can eat more oily fish, nuts and seeds.

emarlow279 Wed 25-May-16 15:02:11

I completely agree with what you are saying that adding EPA and DHA to processed food is unhealthy. I've only started this project, so thank you so much for your comments and points of views! I remember taking omega 3 in the past and the tablets disagreeing with me.

I'm focussing on feeding animals; cows, pigs, poultry etc a better diet e.g. instead of corn based feed more seeds, grass etc which contain more omega 3 naturally.

Sorry if I didn't explain this well on the first post!

Blondie1984 Wed 25-May-16 17:05:45

And in feeding them better the end price to the consumer would increase - the extent of that price increase (or the difference versus the price of standard products) may put off the majority of shoppers ...
Over the past 10 years or so various types of products have been launched that contain added omega 3 but the majority of these have have now disappeared as shoppers just didn't buy them ....I think that says a lot

It all sounds great in theory but to date the reality hasn't been so great....

Blondie1984 Wed 25-May-16 17:08:19

Am intrigued as to what your PhD is?

Dixxie Wed 25-May-16 17:32:19

Feed them more grass... That would be novel. Agree that allowing them to eat their natural diet would be a good thing all round.

emarlow279 Wed 25-May-16 17:37:55

I'm actually doing a PhD in physics, but am taking part in an creative/innovative module as part of my course. We are given a project to work on completely out of our element and this was mine confused.

The comments mentioned here are what I had initially thought when I heard it, but it's good to hear it from others too. So thank you all for your point of views, it helps a lot!

Blondie1984 Wed 25-May-16 22:10:29

It sounds good fun - the module that is rather than the Physics bit - Science was never my strong point!!
Good luck with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now