Talk

Advanced search

BBC website recipes

(111 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Brieandstilton Tue 17-May-16 07:15:04

Morning,

Anybody else going to have to screen shot a lot of recipes before the BBC takes them off their website? I'd better get started!

One thing I'm a little unsure of though, does it include the BBC Goof Food website? I'm not sure it does, but if it does, I'll be staying up all night to save them!

Brieandstilton Tue 17-May-16 07:15:25

BBC Good Food website, obviously.....

Pollyputhtekettleon Tue 17-May-16 07:16:03

It's a major loss! Gutted.

cdtaylornats Tue 17-May-16 07:19:21

I was just asked for my Conservative Association membership, so I've replied with "Not this year, due to the BBC cuts I need to subscribe to food websites"

sooperdooper Tue 17-May-16 07:19:26

Is it really going? Couldn't find any stories online and hadnt heard anything definite, there's been a lot of talk about all sorts of BBC cuts but I haven't heard this is for real?

Starman16 Tue 17-May-16 07:22:59

It doesn't include BBC Good Food, the website/magazine has been run as a separate business for a long time - not sure it's even owned by BBC anymore

QueenOnAPlate Tue 17-May-16 07:25:17

I'm devasted. I'd culled loads of recipe books recently because I always get recipes off the bbc site sad

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 17-May-16 07:28:13

They are going to have recipes from tv programmes but only for 30 days. I've also used it in the past to cull books, print off favourites and get rid of the books, might be back to photocopying now sad

Brieandstilton Tue 17-May-16 07:30:13

Glad it doesn't include the Good Food recipes. Still, I'll have to go through my very extensive Pinterest boards and dig out all the BBC ones. Could take a while.

Cdtaylornats - good enough reason to cancel your membership I'd say......

NewBallsPlease00 Tue 17-May-16 07:30:41

When does it finish? I 'trust' their recipes especially the allergy friendly ones- far more successful baking with them than any other 😖

msrisotto Tue 17-May-16 07:31:06

]KLAXON] BBC GOOD FOOD IS SAFE [KLAXON]

BBC food is different, TBH I don't even use it. BBC Good Food OOH is awesome and must never leave us.

Eastpoint Tue 17-May-16 07:32:19

Although the recipes are a great resource they are not really part of the BBC's core reason for being - they aren't news and are in competition with commercial websites. A good compromise would be for them to be subscription only or supported by adverts (like Mumsnet).

eternalopt Tue 17-May-16 08:03:58

I can't really understand why they need to take the site down though. I can understand not maintaining it or adding to it, but why take it down?

eternalopt Tue 17-May-16 08:24:55

Oooo. Just had a thought. There's a website we use in work that "captures" websites at various points in time and you can look them up and to show old versions of Web pages

https://archive.org/web/

I've just looked up www.bbc.co.uk/food on there and they've got loads of captures. The search function doesn't work in these versions, but you can still go to the ingredients tab and look up ingredients alphabetically. Crossing everything that this survives.

PotteringAlong Tue 17-May-16 08:30:06

Am so glad it's not good food! I started to panic when I heard the news this morning!

LIZS Tue 17-May-16 08:35:44

There another thread with link to the petition to save it.

sooperdooper Tue 17-May-16 08:46:55

I heard on the news earlier they're taking down some recipes, not the whole site - hopefully it'll be just the ones used less often

Whisky2014 Tue 17-May-16 08:50:00

I can't really understand why they need to take the site down though. I can understand not maintaining it or adding to it, but why take it down?

To make a point I think?

Punishing us!

Brieandstilton Tue 17-May-16 08:50:43

I think recipes shown on TV will be on there for 30 days, but that's all there'll be as far as I can tell.

Honeymoonmummy Tue 17-May-16 09:39:01

I'm starting to look through now to find recipes to print just in case. Could we all post links to our fave recipes on this thread maybe?

Ones I've found so far:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chickencacciatorewith546200__
_
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/linguinewithprawnsand290688__
_
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pastafazool041311__
_
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/prawnlinguinewith140788_

I've started in the "Italian" section, clearly grin

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 17-May-16 10:02:48

On the upside - the 2800+ recipes we have here at Mumsnet aren't going anywhere. Promise.

Whatwouldagoodmotherdo Tue 17-May-16 10:05:41

There is a petition on Change.org to try save it. Worth a mumsnet input I think www.change.org/p/bbc-save-the-bbc-s-recipe-archive?recruiter=2903683&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-md-no_src-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

msrisotto Tue 17-May-16 10:20:12

Catherine, can you steal the BBCs recipes and keep them here for us grin
Also, i'd like it if the reviews of each recipe on the mumsnet site could say how many people rated them. thx grin

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 17-May-16 12:37:04

msrisotto

Catherine, can you steal the BBCs recipes and keep them here for us grin
Also, i'd like it if the reviews of each recipe on the mumsnet site could say how many people rated them. thx grin

We will give it a go msrisotto! Am penning a letter to James Purnell (Head of Digital at the Beeb) as we speak. Will paste it up here in a min.

JingsAndCrivens Tue 17-May-16 12:49:02

This is a fucking travesty. Vandalism. BBC Food is a FAR superior resource to BBC Good Food.

And no offence Mumsnet but your recipes are really nothing special.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now