Your go to easy meals for DCs in summer?

(15 Posts)
drspouse Fri 13-May-16 15:34:23

It's getting too hot for the round of slow cooker stews, fish or cottage pie in the oven on a timer, quick spag bol, and fish fingers/cakes, or sausages with wedges/mash.
We're having chicken and sweetcorn pasta salad tonight. What are your go to quick meals (minimal hands on time at the end when the DCs are ravenous) for summer for not particularly fussy DCs?

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 13-May-16 15:50:35

I'm making a fritatta tonight, earlier in the week we had stir fried veg and peanuts with rice noodles and sweet chilli sauce.

mrsmugoo Fri 13-May-16 15:53:17

Red pepper and feta quiche with coleslaw and new potatoes tonight.

Jacket potatoes with tuna / prawns / coronation chicken etc all easy summery suppers.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Fri 13-May-16 15:54:31

Ten year old DD has a bento box for school lunches and I often base summer meals on that for her and 3 yr old twins. For example, roast chicken or grilled chicken breast, sliced, some grated cheese, potato salad/rice/quinoa, cucumber, baby to,stores, red pepper, handful grapes/apple slices with natural yoghurt dip.

The food doesn't always go together in combinations I'd choose, but as long as all the food groups are there and it's stuff they'll eat, I just throw it on.

We also do homemade pizza, variety of pastas, lasagne, chilli (without the spice), baked potatoes, marinaded chicken with veg, homemade turkey burgers. I like to give them food that seems like 'junk' food, but isn't. And, unless I'm in a real rush, I'll always make from scratch (not pasta obv - that's from a bag) usually in advance so I can just grab and reheat

MrsPnut Fri 13-May-16 15:54:50

Chicken goujon rolly ups. Chicken goujons cooked and served in a mini wrap with sour cream, salsa, grated cheese and lettuce, we often have sweet potato wedges on the side.

FreeButtonBee Fri 13-May-16 16:03:12

Pitta bread and hummus with chicken/cheese/chorizo and then selection of salad veg

Tried them with fajitas (not much spice on the chicken) which Was a bit of a success.

Pasta with tomato and basil sauce - a bit lighter than spag bol.

Sweetcorn fritters are good.

Burgers (home made with just mince and seasoning) with tomato/cucumber/peppers.

Groovee Fri 13-May-16 16:03:37

My 2 love cold meat, salad, tiger bread with cheese and pate.

FreeButtonBee Fri 13-May-16 16:04:33

Oh traybake style chicken recipes are good too. Chopped up chicken, spuds, veg (BNS and carrots are good) and drizzle with oil, honey and cumin. Bung in oven til cooked. Even quicker if you parboil the spuds.

Ancienchateau Fri 13-May-16 16:08:50

Kebabs: pork/chicken (usually marinated for a day) on a skewer with cut up pepper, mushroom, red onion then grilled. Have them a lot with Greek Salad. Also for a bit of variety - shredded chicken rolled up in a wrap with salad, bit of garlic mayo optional.

Dancingqueen17 Fri 13-May-16 16:52:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

drspouse Fri 13-May-16 18:10:57

We don't really do barbecues but otherwise furiously scribbling notes!

LadyMonicaBaddingham Fri 13-May-16 19:11:41

Baked tomato rice. 200g risotto rice, can chopped tomatoes, 600ml stock from cube. 30 mins in oven @ 200c. Serve with salad and grated cheese.

MrsPnut Fri 13-May-16 20:18:02

I made spaghetti carbonara tonight and it took me about 12 minutes from start to finish and only about 6 ingredients.

PhoenixReisling Sun 15-May-16 08:41:00

Chicken and pepper quesadillas

Cous cous with chicken and crudités

drspouse Sun 15-May-16 17:15:08

Yum!
(But we're having a takeaway tonight. Oops)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now