Talk

Advanced search

Is it really worth the hassle to make your own pasta?

(26 Posts)
Melbournemel Mon 25-Apr-16 21:36:04

Everywhere I turn there's people on tv making their own pasta! I'm not massively into pasta and usually make do with the bog standard dried tagliatelle/ spaghetti/fusilli. On occasion I've bought the ready made fresh egg pasta and it has been nice but I'm wondering if it would be worth it trying to make my own? I like the look of the fresh tortellini they've been churning out on masterchef this season grin Is it worth the faff or should I just stick to my cheapo supermarket stuff?

Blondie1984 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:56:56

I've done it a few times and it was quite a faff and whilst it tasted nice, I don't think the difference in taste was enough to justify the faff so now I tend to just buy the supermarket stuff - sometimes fresh but more often the dry stuff - I always go for the De Cecco (think that's how you spell it) as my Italian friend told me that that's what people use quite often there - and if it's good enough for the Italians then it's good enough for me!

annandale Mon 25-Apr-16 21:59:36

It was nice to do it a couple of times just to find out that it wasn't that hard, but it was a hassle. The second time I tried it I put herbs into it which I was quite proud of, can't remember if this is ever authentic, probably not.

Ultimately it is a LOT of effort to make something that is cheap and tastes great off the shelf [shrug] Possibly if you want to fill your own ravioli with something different from usual.

LuisCarol Mon 25-Apr-16 22:11:59

When you cook dried pasta in boiling water you are both cooking it and hydrating it, which is hard to do well at the same time, so most dried pasta is way overcooked by the time it's hydrated. Fresh pasta is already hydrated, so cooks in 60 seconds or so rather than 10 minutes. If you soak your dried pasta in cold water for an hour or so first while you work on the sauce, then cook it for just 60 seconds in boiling water no one will be able to tell the difference. Spend the time on the sauce.

DeliveredByKiki Tue 26-Apr-16 06:03:42

It is for us but DH mills the flour fresh for it making it chockablock full of nutrients, which makes it worth it

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Tue 26-Apr-16 06:15:19

No. And 99% of Italians agree. Dp (Italian chef) wouldn't dream of doing it, or homemade pizza and neither would anyone I've met here in the past 23 years.
Italians find UK cookery shows hilarious with the homemade pasta thing ' why would you do that unless you're so poor you have to?'
I've politely eaten homemade a couple of times. Foul stuff.
Obviously we often buy handmade from delis etc, but there is a huge difference between hand and home-made.

pearlylum Tue 26-Apr-16 06:20:09

I have family in Italy- some amazing cooks. but everyone eats dried pasta.

Idefix Tue 26-Apr-16 06:20:25

Italian friends snigger when they see fresh pasta in the supermarket, apparently it is not the done thing grin

CaptainWarbeck Tue 26-Apr-16 08:29:11

I like home made tagliatelle once in a while - the pasta dough is easy enough to make, it's just getting it thin enough and cutting is a pain. It is really good though, especially with a simple tomato sauce.

Ravioli and tortellini are fun if you like spending half the day cooking, but not worth the hassle in my book.

mudandmayhem01 Tue 26-Apr-16 08:34:40

Wow, milling your own flour, that's taking homemade to another level, how does it increase the nutrient level, does he use a different kind of wheat to regular pasta flour?

1frenchfoodie Tue 26-Apr-16 15:03:47

Yes if you are making ravioli, not worth it for regular plain pasta, tastes good but not sufficiently better than dried to justify the time/faff.

DeliveredByKiki Tue 26-Apr-16 16:35:39

I don't really know the ins and outs of it - DH became obsessed with it all after watching Dan Barber on Chef's Table (American chef who grew up on a farm, he also has a few TED talks and released a book last year akin to Michael Pollan's work)

Essentially wheat is alive until it is milled, the grain "dies" and the nutrients broken down and disappear so flour you buy on the shelf is dead and void of nutrients and also full of preservatives to make it keep for years.

He's having to experiment quite a lot as it makes baking a different ball game so in fairness he makes his own pasta (generally ravioli) once in a blue moon cos it's still a faff but he does bake all our bread using his flour - you can seriously taste the difference and with the added chia, flax and hemp he puts in means our fussy DD is at least getting more nutrients despite living on bread

mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/magazine/bread-is-broken.html?referer=

GreenTomatoJam Tue 26-Apr-16 16:42:06

I think that there's no point in supermarket fresh stuff - I don't think it tastes any better than dried, but that if you have an hour to kill, homemade fresh stuff tastes way better than dried - has a better texture too.

mudandmayhem01 Tue 26-Apr-16 17:02:10

Sounds great delivered, my son loves bread too so your bread sounds amazing!

CaptainWarbeck Wed 27-Apr-16 06:00:49

So how does he mill it at home kiki? I'm fascinated by this!

Mummyoftwo91 Wed 27-Apr-16 08:31:34

It is a lot of faff really but home made gnocchi is really easy and doesn't take much time at all

whois Wed 27-Apr-16 11:35:35

I don't think home made frehs pasta is worth it.

The supermarket fresh pasta is good if you want to eat in 3 mins rather than in 10 mins.

Deli type of fresh pasta is really good!

Chewbecca Wed 27-Apr-16 14:20:57

I've made my own pasta before for homemade ravioli. It was really lovely, but took bloody hours and the quantity we ended up with was tiny.

I need to practice to become as quick as the MC contestants as it's definitely worthwhile for ravioli I think, I've never liked any shop bought ravioli. Wouldn't bother for any other pasta dish though.

DeliveredByKiki Wed 27-Apr-16 14:33:01

He buys the wheatberries online in 50lb bags at a time, then we have a small electric mill - he grinds exactly what he needs for whatever he's baking or making so we don't have flour lying around going rancid

He has a huge kitchen aid mixer to help with the dough, so he has to bake 4 loaves at once!

DeliveredByKiki Wed 27-Apr-16 14:33:54

Half of this weekend batch

Melbournemel Fri 29-Apr-16 21:29:14

Ok, so the general consensus is no then? I thought I was missing out on something when all of the masterchef contestants were doing it but obviously it's just a showy-offy thing then grin Interesting about the rehydrating luis I might try that out and see smile Your bread looks fab delivered wink We are real bread lovers so I make all of ours fresh. I don't go as far as milling the flour though, that must take some dedication smile

Stiddleficks Fri 29-Apr-16 21:34:29

My dh does, but he's a chef and loves the process of it all. He generally makes quite a bit and we freeze it then just defrost and roll it out when we need it. We use it to make our own filled ravioli etc though. We use the dried stuff for more normal dishes.

cookiefiend Fri 29-Apr-16 21:53:51

Someone gave us a pasta maker thing. We did it once and it was nice but a huge faff. I would probably do it again when DC Are older for the fun of doing it one weekend, but not something I would do on a regular basis.

DeliveredByKiki Mon 02-May-16 16:16:49

Just to add again about the milling - it's the least labour intensive part of it, we have as all electric mill, takes about 30seconds per cup, makes such a difference, highly recommend it to all bread makers

There was a lot of experimentation tho because it is pretty different to baking with shop bought flour - and we bake in the oven because the bread maker was causing our loaves to fail

NickyEds Tue 03-May-16 18:45:41

I used to make it for a lovely (but incredibly time consuming!) Cannelloni and on the odd occasion for ravioli but
I just use dried for everyday recipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now