Talk

Advanced search

Filling non egg breakfast ideas

(22 Posts)
TeddTess Thu 21-Apr-16 08:55:10

I need to get my kids off bagels & cheerios! Well at least a few days a week.
I have searched the threads for a breakfast banana bread recipe i saw previously but can't find it

anyone have one? and any other good ideas?
dd is having a banana & strawberry smoothie this morning and a piece of rye bread. a big improvement. what else can i try?
ps she can't have lightly cooked eggs so omelettes etc are out but can eat well baked eggs in cake etc.

Cumberlover76 Thu 21-Apr-16 09:00:47

Jamie's Superfoods book has got some nice breakfast ideas - berry pancakes, granola and yog, breakfast rice pudding. Some can be pre prepared, some not, but most are not too complex. I made his porridge bars the other day and they are full of nuts, seeds and fruit.

blearynweary Thu 21-Apr-16 09:01:55

porridge
pancakes
beans on toast

all regulars here

blearynweary Thu 21-Apr-16 09:02:15

bagels with peanut butter

TeddTess Thu 21-Apr-16 09:11:29

thanks - i have that superfoods book, must take another look. the porridge bars sound good, she's good with nuts.

she would love pancakes - maybe for weekends. i've said i'll buy one pack of bagels a week and that is it for the 2 of them - i seem to be buying a bag every other day.

try as i might i can't get her to eat porridge with milk. texture thing apparently (which i get, i had to force myself to like it and i still only tolerate it)

Babymamamama Thu 21-Apr-16 09:13:59

Baked beans on toast. Or even bakes beans on cheese on toast. Veggie frankfurters or sausages in a sandwich. Tina and mayo sandwich. I basically let dd choose whatever she fancies within reason.

blearynweary Thu 21-Apr-16 09:16:51

dd1 likes dry granola or granola with natural yogurt (she doesnt like milk)

dd3 had a tuna and mayo sandwich this morning babymamamama

TeddTess Thu 21-Apr-16 09:40:57

what she fancies is bagels with nutella
or a toasted bagel with ham which is not so bad except she has ham wraps every day for school...

must try and get her into baked beans again, had forgotten about those

petit filous are full of sugar aren't they? she would like those with some chopped up fruit

she does like dry cereal but i think she eats so little of it and it takes ages.

blearynweary Thu 21-Apr-16 10:22:43

Just stop buying Nutella or cheerios.

I never do anymore except occasionally in the holidays

mommybunny Thu 21-Apr-16 10:25:28

Peanut butter or melted cheese on whole grain toast are very filling. Also Greek yogurt with a drizzle (less than a teaspoon!) of honey and some chopped up or dried fruit/nuts.

mommybunny Thu 21-Apr-16 10:26:40

My DD would eat Nutella from the jar with a spoon if I let her, which is why I don't buy it.

Branleuse Thu 21-Apr-16 10:30:41

whats wrong with bagels for breakfast?

Peanut butter or banana is good, or marmite, butter, cheese spread

Fevertree Thu 21-Apr-16 10:41:19

Peanut butter and banana on toast, sausage sandwich (cook sausages the day before) smoothie with porridge oats and banana?

TeddTess Thu 21-Apr-16 10:48:05

i don't like them having bagels for breakfast because it is just processed white flour blurgh (same as cheerios). but at least they're going out full up.

i regularly stop buying nutella! she only has a bit spread on her bagel, not tons of the stuff.

hadn't though to add porridge oats to smoothie. genius.

KanyesVest Thu 21-Apr-16 10:56:48

Very easy banana bread recipe. I use half the sugar and don't bother with the icing sugar and banana chips on top. I make mini muffin things too -
3 medium bananas mashed
75g mixed dried fruit
50g pecan nuts chopped
115g self raising flour
half teaspoon baking powder
190ml milk
1 egg
Mix them all then spoon into a 12 hole bun tin (butter the holes so you can get them out again). Bake at 180 for approx 12-15 mins. Let them cool in the tin, then run a knife around the edge to get them out. They are great to have on the run.

TeddTess Thu 21-Apr-16 11:07:20

thank you smile

blearynweary Thu 21-Apr-16 11:14:54

i put ready brek in smoothies

the texture is better than oats that go a bit grainy in my smoothie maker

FernetBranca Thu 21-Apr-16 11:16:59

Does she eat peanut butter? I think PB on toast, particularly toast made from "sturdy" bread is good. You can also add a spoonful to smoothies. I use the Whole Earth chunky PB, and I think the ingredients are just, er, peanuts.

We also have smoothies poured over some oats, which goes down well (good for DC with braces as well).

Dd also like Greek yoghurt with some bits thrown in - raspberries or blueberries, some nuts, drizzle of honey.

(My DC have been introduced to something called "fluffernutter" which is pappy white bread toasted then topped with Nutella and then with marshmallow fluff! Makes your toast and Nutella look positively like health food! NEVER on a school morning!)

dinkystinky Thu 21-Apr-16 11:21:07

porridge
fishfinger sandwich
French toast
baked beans on toast

idontlikealdi Thu 21-Apr-16 12:07:00

I hate eggs but if they are well baked they're manageable - I do muffin type things in silicone cases - egg, cheese, ham or other meat and random bits of veg. Stick in the oven and bake for about 15 mins.

Dancingqueen17 Thu 21-Apr-16 13:56:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LordEmsworth Wed 27-Apr-16 15:02:23

Fernet - actually Whole Earth has palm oil added to it, and salt...

Meridian is 100% peanuts and you can buy a vat of the stuff in Holland & Barrett for £6 - even better when they're doing buy one get one half price...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now