Pulled pork in slow cooker

(7 Posts)
Jujuheyhey Thu 14-Apr-16 19:35:34

I got a shoulder of pork on offer today so going to do it in the slow cooker. Never tried it before but I've read a few recipes and know the basics - bed of onions, add some liquid, cook on low for 8 hrs, take it out and shred, add bbq sauce and cook for another hour.

But I'm still a bit confused! There seems to be so many variations. What do you wise people of MN do?

Do I need to rub any spices in before cooking? If so, which? Overnight or just before? Should I sear it?

What liquid works best? Coke/stock/water?

Homemade BBQ sauce - where do I start? Or should I just get a bottle? If so will any do? I've got some cheapo Asda stuff in a squeezy bottle but that doesn't seem right somehow...

GlowWine Fri 15-Apr-16 14:46:48

I rub it with a spice mixture (Mumsnet Top Bananas book recipe) that includes smoked paprika, brown sugar, salt, pepper, but could have stuff I've forgotten.
Place in slow cooker, no onions, add a glass / 250ml or so of apple juice. All day on low.
For the Sauce I 'played it safe' and used a standard Heinz one, just use whichever one you like the taste of.
Yum, always a success!

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 15-Apr-16 14:56:47

You don't need to add liquid if it's supermarket pork - quite a lot of water comes out of it anyway. I just add brown sugar.

Bamaluz Fri 15-Apr-16 15:02:31

My favourite recipe for the sauce.

2 tbsp demerara sugar
2 tbsp Worcecester sauce
1 tbsp American mustard
2tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp cider vinegar

Mix together and pour on top of pork before cooking.

Delicious.

Bamaluz Fri 15-Apr-16 15:04:26

i never cook any longer once it's shredded.

Jujuheyhey Fri 15-Apr-16 15:34:14

I rubbed in smoked paprika, brown sugar and a bit of salt. No liquid. It's on low but bit worried I didn't put the lid on properly and it's not been cooking properly since 9am confused

Might try and make my own BBQ sauce but have a bottle as back up just in case...

Jujuheyhey Fri 15-Apr-16 18:15:01

9 hours in the slow cooker on low and it's as tough as old boots sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now