Talk

Advanced search

Frozen Biryani - I am nervous

(9 Posts)
footballcrazy11 Thu 14-Apr-16 09:54:59

I made a delicious biryani a few weeks ago and froze a portion as soon as it was cool. I have read rice is dangerous to reheat so now I dont know whether to bin it. If it is safe how should I defrost/reheat please
Thanks

dementedpixie Thu 14-Apr-16 10:03:22

If it was cooled and frozen quickly then it will be fine. It is leaving it at room temperature for too long that is the issue with rice

dementedpixie Thu 14-Apr-16 10:03:54

Nuke it in the microwave?

PirateSmile Thu 14-Apr-16 10:04:02

demented is correct. There is only a risk when reheated from chilled.

dementedpixie Thu 14-Apr-16 10:09:26

There isn't an issue reheating from chilled as long as it was not left at room temperature for too long before being put in the fridge

dementedpixie Thu 14-Apr-16 10:12:12

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51 - it's not reheating that's the issue but the way it was stored after cooking. Cool it, put it in fridge/freezer soon after cooling and then reheat thoroughly before eating

footballcrazy11 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:17:36

Thank you shall I reheat it from frozen then?

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 14-Apr-16 11:07:28

Despite what the food gestapo say, I have always reheated rice from cold, from warm, from same day to several days later and never had any sort of upset. Sometimes in the microwave and sometimes with a bit of water in the bottom of a pan. It is supposed to be so deadly that just to mention that you do it would result in being struck down to certain death.....apparently!

footballcrazy11 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:17:26

I know what you mean 4merly I nearly threw it away because I thought I am may not enjoy it through worrying about possible ill effects

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now