Can you freeze and defrost and reheat cooked rice?

(18 Posts)
TyneTeas Wed 13-Apr-16 23:06:29

Hi,

I often take any leftovers of home-made rice dishes in to work for lunch the day after (mostly making sure to cool quickly and reheat thoroughly, as I know that otherwise it might not work out too nicely www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/Can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=215)

But can I freeze cooled rice?

Was thinking I could cook up a pan of something tasty, then cool and freeze it in portions. Cooking a batch probably means it gets cooled and frozen quicker, so may be actually safer, or would this recklessly be asking for trouble?

Thank you!

Openmindedmonkey Wed 13-Apr-16 23:19:49

You can, yes.
Dependant on the type of rice (& if it's a teeny bit overcooked) it can change texture a little once reheated, but you'll get used to that & adjust cooking time if needed.
Enjoy your meals!

DramaAlpaca Wed 13-Apr-16 23:23:50

We often freeze left over curry & rice in portions and have never had any problems.

GinBunny Wed 13-Apr-16 23:28:25

Yes you can. I cook rice from frozen too but I don't think that's recommended!

ouryve Wed 13-Apr-16 23:29:20

No, no, no!

ouryve Wed 13-Apr-16 23:31:05

You shouldn't even really be heating it from chilled unless you have rinsed it in cold water, straight after cooking, in order to cool it almost instantly.

SuburbanRhonda Wed 13-Apr-16 23:33:19

I've been doing it for about 25 years with no ill effects so far. I make fried rice with it after I've defrosted it in the microwave smile

DeliveredByKiki Thu 14-Apr-16 07:37:35

Yup, have also been freezing and defrosting and reheating rice for decades and I'm fine

ExitPursuedByABear Thu 14-Apr-16 07:40:59

I read on here that no you can't. It will kill you.

I have been reheating rice for DH for decades.

CMOTDibbler Thu 14-Apr-16 07:52:00

Make sure you cool it quickly (run under cold water), bag it up straightaway and freeze immediatly. Then theres no chance for the spores to get in and grow and its fine.

The risk comes from rice left to cool in a pot so it is warm for a very long time, and exposed to the air

JapanNextYear Thu 14-Apr-16 07:55:36

You can chill it quickly by spreading out on already chilled baking tray and putting straight into freezer once cool.

I just freeze it quickly though with whatever sauce.

SuburbanRhonda Thu 14-Apr-16 08:15:04

I just put a lid on the leftovers while we're eating, then bag it up after we've finished.

Trills Thu 14-Apr-16 08:19:58

I do often.

cdtaylornats Thu 14-Apr-16 08:30:16

Yes I do it with various batch cooked meals.

ABetaDad1 Thu 14-Apr-16 08:37:34

Yes I am 52 and have been doing it for years and am not dead yet.

Just make sure it is really hot when you have reheated.

glamorousgrandmother Thu 14-Apr-16 08:51:57

I'm 61 and I've always frozen cooked rice with no ill effects. I don't rinse under cold water as that's not the way I cook rice (I cook it in a lidded pan until all the water is absorbed) but cover it straight away and cool as quickly as possible. if it's plain rice I put it in a plastic bag spread it out thinly, seal it and freeze asap. That way you can easily break off a portion sized amount.

FishWithABicycle Thu 14-Apr-16 09:02:53

Yes I often do this - obviously making sure it is cooled as quickly as possible after cooking.

It works best if it's slightly underdone when you freeze it. If it is done to perfection when it goes in the freeze it will be slightly overcooked by the time you defrost it and heat it up.

TyneTeas Thu 14-Apr-16 23:30:45

Thank you everyone

I think then in summary that while some people feel reheating rice is always too risky, no-one is saying that freezing it makes it any riskier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now