Talk

Advanced search

What would you serve for an adult's 'birthday tea'?

(11 Posts)
JustABigBearAlan Wed 13-Apr-16 09:36:07

Just that really. We'll have had a cooked lunch, so I don't imagine anyone will want a huge amount. So far I'm thinking sandwiches and obviously birthday cake!

I'm feeling really uninspired though and could do with nice sandwich filling suggestions or sandwich alternatives plus any other kind of nibbles.

What would you serve?

jamtartandcustard Wed 13-Apr-16 09:58:27

Cheese and biscuits with grapes, or home cooked scones is what I would go with

Allalonenow Wed 13-Apr-16 10:25:07

Jelly made with sparkling wine (so, sparkling jelly!).
Blinis with cream cheese, smoked salmon, caviare garnish.
Open sandwiches, such as prawn cocktail, Parma ham & fig, soft blue cheese & grapes.
Strawberries and cream, chocolate dip some of the strawberries.

Balloondog Wed 13-Apr-16 11:44:11

I second blinis and scones - both super easy to make and can be frozen ahead of time.

For sandwich fillings, I'd do something you wouldn't normally do - maybe avocado, feta and spinach or even lobster/crayfish cocktail instead of prawn.

Or you could go the swedish route and have a sandwich birthday cake A Swedish friend once made one for me and it was delicious!

shovetheholly Wed 13-Apr-16 14:13:57

Every year, DH asks me this, and every year my list is exactly what a 6 year old would choose, INCLUDING ICED GEMS.

Bah to grown-up food.

Nibbl3s Wed 13-Apr-16 14:16:39

I would serve different breads, cheese, olives, salad, pasta etc.

GhostsComeWith Wed 13-Apr-16 16:05:09

Small triangle brown bread sandwiches with fillings like roast chicken with tarragon mayonnaise, smoked salmon & cream cheese, egg & cress etc. all presented v nicely on a platter.

Tiny scones with clotted cream & jam

Homemade sausage rolls (puff pastry with sausage meat & relish baked inside)

Nice teapot & jug & plates & cups

Bubbles !

Cake on a platter Maybe nigella's chocolate raspberry heart (coz I have a heart shaped tin) or Hazlenut & nectarine pavlova.

Geepee71 Wed 13-Apr-16 21:37:07

Party tings and iced gems, maybe tunnocks tea cakes too...... Not very grown up, more retro!

DoItTooJulia Wed 13-Apr-16 21:50:02

Oh my god. I need a sandwich cake in my life.

JustABigBearAlan Thu 14-Apr-16 13:06:42

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

I enjoy baking, so have already planned the cake, but that raspberry chocolate heart one looks lovely. I'll definitely make that some other time.

The sandwich cake looks fab. I'm not really catering for enough people to make one, but it is certainly impressive.

I've added cheese board with crackers and grapes plus scones, strawberries and iced gems to the menu! I haven't even heard of iced gems since I was a child, but definitely need them now I've been reminded about them smile

I just need to sort out sandwich fillings. I'm struggling because as a veggie I'd live happily on cheese ones but appreciate that others want something different. Think I'll do smoked salmon and I know the roast chicken ones would go down well. I'm not great with meat though - so stupid question, do you roast the chicken like you would for a Sunday roast or is there a way of doing smaller quantities?

Allalonenow Thu 14-Apr-16 14:35:47

You could buy ready cooked and sliced chicken breast for the sandwiches, found in packs usually near the ham!
Or you might see tubs of ready made Coronation chicken to use as a sandwich filling.

Mini party type quiches might be nice too, and look pretty on a platter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now