mini pizzas- pizza dough or short crust pastry?

(8 Posts)
littleoctonauts Tue 12-Apr-16 08:46:54

Hi need to make about 50 or so of these. The recipes I've found online are with pizza dough, but wouldn't that be hard to cut circles out of? I have a vague memory that I've had then with shortcrust pastry before, would that work. Want to do a trial run in an hour so would be enormously grateful for any advice!

marmaladegranny Tue 12-Apr-16 09:14:41

When I used to help with primary school cookery we used a type of scone mix for pizza base. It was very easy and tasted good - I can't give you recipe as am not at home but maybe someone else will know it.

NannyR Tue 12-Apr-16 09:16:55

I wouldn't cut circles out of the dough, just break off a small amount (you could weigh it to make sure they are all uniform size), roll it into a ball and squash it flat or use a rolling pin.

I think pizza needs to have some sort of bread base rather than pastry - what about mini pitta breads split in half?

DessertOrDesert Tue 12-Apr-16 09:20:31

Half an English muffin or mini pitta, or pizza dough (bread dough) flattened as above. Maybe puff pastry at a push. Don't do shortcrust pastry.
Could you make one large rectangular pizza and cut into squares with scissors?

littleoctonauts Tue 12-Apr-16 09:54:41

Thank you, some great tips! I've got some pizza base dough in the bread maker now and I'll try doing the circles as described, sounds much better than a cutter. Cutting it is a good idea too, that is now officially plan bsmile

I've just realised my mozzarella has gone offshock would cheddar be ok do you think for this trial run? These are doubling up as dinner tonight so they need to be half decentsmile

littleoctonauts Tue 12-Apr-16 09:56:30

Oh that first bit didn't make sense...I mean that I will shape the circles and failing that next time I'll make a big rectangle and cut up

DessertOrDesert Tue 12-Apr-16 11:13:45

I usually do 50:50 mozzarella: cheddar. For me that balances taste and stringiness. If you cut the outside of the cheese off, what does the middle look like?

littleoctonauts Tue 12-Apr-16 13:35:43

Thank you I try a mix next time

They came out great, so glad I asked the mumsnetters!

The mozzarella was grated, so not salvageable sadly..But the cheddar only was ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now