cheapest party food ideas for a birthday.

(13 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Mon 11-Apr-16 09:35:39

My DD is going to be 1 on Friday, I know she won't care about it one bit but we as a family like to celebrate with a small birthday party tea like we've done for all her brothers.
We've got 5 children and 4 adults from immediate family coming.
However I didn't take into account how skint I'm going to be.
So I need to do it as cheap as possible.
Ideas please. smile

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 11-Apr-16 09:42:48

If I'm doing a birthday on a budget I usually serve pizza either homemade/frozen (last time I was in Aldi they had a frozen 3 pack of pizza which worked out at something like 75p each and they were nice!) and homemade potatoe wedges and salad and some snacky type stuff like a big bowl of crisps. Then serve jelly with the birthday cake.

guerre Mon 11-Apr-16 09:47:57

Garlic bread- cheap to buy baguettes, cut slits, put in garlic and herbs crushed up in butter, wrap in foil, bake at 180 for ten-15 mins.
What have you already got in? Do you have any tinned beans (not baked though!) Bean and rice salad? With chopped up peppers/tomatoes/cucumber.

guerre Mon 11-Apr-16 09:48:30

Oh, and Happy Birthday to DD too! cake

DoItTooJulia Mon 11-Apr-16 09:49:34

A couple of plates of simple sandwiches, some crisps in bowls, maybe a cheap pizza and jelly with ice cream and/or birthday cake.

Doesn't have to be fancy, fresh food laid out prettily will do the job!

Have a lovely time!

Blueberry234 Mon 11-Apr-16 09:49:58

i have done aldi pizzas, garlic bread, salad and birthday cake in the past or jacket potatoes with different toppings

SavoyCabbage Mon 11-Apr-16 09:53:55

Children eat hardly anything at parties.

Pizza and garlic bread it a great idea. Cheap and people like it.

I like breadsticks in a jug or something. I dip the ends in melted chocolate or icing then into hundreds and thousands and call them wands. Only half of them though as the adults won't want them!

Some sort of fruit cut up.

Do the cake at the start so you can get it cut and people can have some.

putthePuffindown Mon 11-Apr-16 09:59:20

Potato wedges with dips can be very cheap and tasty, make a few different types (paprika, plain, garlic n chive etc). Also could you try getting to a Tesco late evening - at 7pm ours does crazy reductions (think £2 pack of ham for 30p) and most of its freezable. Oh and iceland have a box of vegy indian snacks for a fiver that look ok.

Happy birthday to your Dd cake

Titsalinabumsquash Mon 11-Apr-16 10:09:16

I've looked through my cupboards and I can do the following.

Cheese/marmite/ham/egg sandwiches.
Crisps

Cupcakes
Flapjacks

Cheese straws

Jelly (traffic light colours!)

Birthday cake

Then MIL says she'll bring a pack of mini sausages and sausage rolls.

That should be fine shouldn't it?

I'm so used to catering far, far too much food so this is making me a bit anxious!

putthePuffindown Mon 11-Apr-16 10:23:17

That sounds perfect. It's pretty much what I'd do regardless of budget! Hope you all have a lovely day smile

Pinkheart5915 Mon 11-Apr-16 10:27:26

For a lo tea party that sounds great.

Hope your dd has a nice birthday tea

usual Mon 11-Apr-16 10:30:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

guerre Mon 11-Apr-16 11:52:29

Ooh, layered jelly! They'll be snapped up in seconds. smile i want some now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now