Talk

Advanced search

Picnic ideas........

(12 Posts)
Geepee71 Sat 09-Apr-16 12:37:12

Afternoon, I'm off on an all day boat trip on Monday and need to take supplies, it's a narrow boat, with a galley kitchen area, no cooking or fridge facilities, but will have a kettle or urn for tea/coffee. Oh and it's a birthday surprise, so have massive cake ready.
I'm thinking:
Party ring biscuits
Choc tea cakes and snowballs
Miniature twix
Crisps
Pop
There are about 8 people all adults and we're all meant to bring stuff, so will probably have far too much!
Would you do sandwiches, or buy rolls and fillings (egg mayo/ham/cheese etc) and let everyone create their own?
Quiche or cold cold pizza

What else would you recommend?

Geepee71 Sat 09-Apr-16 13:36:32

Savoury, that doesn't need to be in fridge and will last. Not expecting a heatwave........

Coletterbox Sat 09-Apr-16 14:48:31

Oooh, you should make one of these picnic loaves - they're great. Easy to transport and then sliced to share smile
www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/picnic-loaf/

Artandco Sat 09-Apr-16 14:54:05

I'm sorry but I don't think anything on your list is adult nice food. Apart from the crisps maybe. If you have a birthday cake anyway nobody is going to want mountains of more sickly cake surely on a boat

- salmon and cream cheese bagels
- cheese and nice ham rolls
- fresh melon cut up in a box
- strawberries
- nice crisps
- the birthday cake
- sparking flavoured cordial drinks
- alcohol?

Artandco Sat 09-Apr-16 14:55:13

Oh if your all bringing stuff I would talk to the others, otherwise you might all bring just drinks or the same thing surely

Geepee71 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:56:14

No I appreciate I've listed the sugary/junk food and not given much thought to actual food. I'm planning on hitting supermarket tomorrow for decent stuff.
Thinking rolls and various fillings, now bagels have been mentioned, that might be my preferred bread item.
Olives and maybe a selection of antipasti dishes maybe.
Mini cheese and onion rolls and quorn mini dippers - cooked and then served cold for the 2 veggies
Hadn't thought of fruit, so will definitely add that to the list.

Love the picnic loaf Colletterbox smile
I'm feeling a bit more inspired now

Dancingqueen17 Sat 09-Apr-16 16:28:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BrieAndChilli Sat 09-Apr-16 16:30:42

The picnic loaf is great, I've made it a few times with various fillings. Just don't forget to take a knife to cut it up!

No to the Party Rings etc and to the Quorn dippers. Yes to asking what others are planning on bringing.

Keep it simple -

sausage rolls - meat and veggie
some French bread and butter
cheese
radishes
grapes
olives
crisps
maybe some cold meat

Ruthiesj Sat 09-Apr-16 16:44:31

A nice Spanish Tortilla would work well alongside the olives and antipasti.

Geepee71 Sat 09-Apr-16 17:11:33

Thanks, all your ideas sound great and more 'grown up' and tasty, so I'll be going for a spread of lovely food, rather than catering for children.
French bread and butter, selection of cheese, meats, etc maybe a tart, crudités and dips
Will check with the others to avoid duplication.
You've all been inspired, thanks

Geepee71 Sat 09-Apr-16 18:59:05

Oops I've been inspired, you've been inspirational wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now