dinner suggestions please - chefs coming round for dinner!

(11 Posts)
mummymafia Sat 09-Apr-16 00:00:20

Please help! We have some friends coming round for dinner in a couple of weeks, they've not been for dinner before, just drinks at Christmas time. Problem is they are both really, really good cooks. Like so good they sell it for a living good. confused So I am at a loss as what to cook. They are big meat eaters but we don't eat red meat but I was thinking of doing a chicken dish & a beef dish. Maybe a couple of slow cooker curries? I love cooking but am at a bit of a loss here. Any top suggestions? Other than get caterers? And cancelling! And please don't say that if they are good friends, they'll love what ever i cook. They will, I'm sure but I'd like to cook something half decent for them! Thank you. X

FeelingSmurfy Sat 09-Apr-16 00:05:41

I would do some basic homecooking, something like shepherds pie, toad in the hole. When all you eat is fancy food, something like that is a welcome change and you really enjoy it, especially if it's something you had as a child

Whatever you make don't worry about making it look fancy or have fancy ingredients, stick with what you know and do it well. They won't be judging you, they will just be glad of a meal cooked by someone else. I bet they don't get many offers either

Dancingqueen17 Sat 09-Apr-16 09:14:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

The chefs I know were always just pleased to be being the cooked for, rather than the cooks.

Curries would probably go down well, or maybe something Greek or Middle Eastern where a piece of meat is the main thing but then you can do nice salads/picky bits alongside.

Agree re: don't try to posh it up or be cheffy or anything. Keep it simple.

Slow roasted lamb with a puy lentil salad, a feta salad and a green salad maybe? Plus a warm veggie dish for the non red meat eaters.

Coletterbox Sat 09-Apr-16 14:58:05

How about a simple and fresh little starter like these fig & goat's cheese crostini - they can be prepared in advance and then dressed at the last minute - www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/fig-goats-cheese-crostini-with-a-honey-orange-basil-dressing/

This Feijoada (Portuguese pork & bean dish) is SO easy to make but tastes really hearty and special (think Mediterranean feast) - www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/recipe-feijoada/

Lastly, this frozen and strawberries & cream pud looks really pretty and is also quick and easy to prepare - and can be done in advance! smile www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/very-british-frozen-strawberries-cream/

Hope that helps - and good luck!

foodiefil Sat 09-Apr-16 17:39:51

You could start with something like whipped feta and pear on toasted sour dough - whip feta cheese with yoghurt and olive oil, season and then spread on toasted sour dough then finely slice a ripe (sweet) pear and top, then add some watercress and another drizzle of GOOD oil before serving. Basically it's all make ahead then assemble when ready. Beef cheeks are a lovely, quite cheap and unusual cut of meat - slow cooked with herbs and red wine make them so delicious and melty. Serve with mash or cheesy polenta and scatter parsley on top. Then maybe affogato which I think of as 'I forgot-o dessert-o' just make sure you have good quality ice cream and coffee so a scoop of ice cream in a glass, topped with espresso then maybe add a kahlua or Tia Maria then shavings of chocolate. Casual but sophisticated.

But I would say make sure there are drinks on arrival, olives or something to eat very shortly after and keep the wine (and San Pellegrino) flowing all night long.

Have a fab time xxx

Nibbl3s Sat 09-Apr-16 19:47:04

Honey and lemon glazed chicken breast with Mediterranean couscous and asparagus.

HeadTilt Sat 09-Apr-16 19:51:56

Chicken tagine with chicken thighs, preserved lemons, carrots, potatoes. Serve with salad and cous cous. Hard to mess up, tastes good, doesn't require a lot of last minute faff/attention to timing.

HerRoyalNotness Sat 09-Apr-16 19:55:53

Yes curries are a good idea. Stick to things you're comfortable with. Don't try to impress.

Fwiw, I have a chef friend and cook very homey food, I just follow the recipe, he always compliments me and is grateful for the meal, pops in the kitchen to see what I'm doing, and says I have "the touch". But all I'm doing is following the recipe, he insists people still get that wrong!

So keep it simple.

OliviaStabler Sat 09-Apr-16 20:01:30

Most of the chefs I know love simple food done really well. Home cooking will suit them.

Pulled pork will be a favourite or shoulder of lamb cooked over many hours and then put with seasonal veg and fondant potatoes will be a winner.

mummymafia Mon 11-Apr-16 15:05:28

Thank you everyone. You are so kind! I'll digest all suggestions & decide. gringrinxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now