Talk

Advanced search

Waitrose magazine cauliflower cake

(8 Posts)
ArtfulPuss Thu 07-Apr-16 20:47:23

Erm, I'm starting to wonder whether this was an April Fool's joke… Has anyone else been intrigued/brave/foolish enough to try the cauliflower and apple cake in the April issue of the Waitrose magazine? I like to think I'm a reasonably competent baker, but I've just had to throw more than half of it away and the smell of the cake stand is still making me retch. It looked beautiful, too! And I like cauliflower in many other forms. Yuk, though - never, ever again.

Blondie1984 Thu 07-Apr-16 21:58:58

I saw that as was slightly bemused! It did indeed look very pretty but I can't say that I'm surprised to hear that it tasted awful....i definitely won't put that on my "must bake" list - I'm just sorry you had to put yourself through that!

Saw that and thought it sounded horrific. Sorry to hear about the waste of time, ingredients and money though.

Baconslicer265 Thu 07-Apr-16 22:43:22

it's fine guys, it's actually just a bordercollieflower cake.

ArtfulPuss Fri 08-Apr-16 08:38:08

Yeah, it was one gimmick too far. White chocolate icing was nice, though.

Yotam Ottolenghi has a (savoury) cauliflower cake in Plenty More, which I might be tempted to try - once I have recovered.

That1950sMum Fri 08-Apr-16 08:44:58

I saw this too. I love a bit of carrot cake, and have even been tempted by courgette cake, but cauliflower is a step too far!

canyou Fri 08-Apr-16 08:52:17

Courgette and parsnip cake are ok just dont tell people what they are
Sorry that was so bad but thank you for trying it, I will forget about it smile

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 08-Apr-16 09:23:07

that sounds hideous!

i am a sucker for a cake with novelty ingredients....nice bit of mash in a lemon cake, no flour and polenta for a fruit cake, mayo in a chocolate cake

but cauliflower doesn't tempt me one little bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now