Talk

Advanced search

If you came for lunch on a sunny Saturday...

(35 Posts)
BeStrongAndCourageous Tue 29-Mar-16 20:20:14

....and were served roast chicken, homemade Caesar salad and lots of fresh crusty bread and butter; plus some sort of pudding and plentiful wine and/or beer, would you feel you'd been well fed or would you go home hungry?

MidnightVelvetthe5th Tue 29-Mar-16 20:23:41

I would be more than happy with that, it sounds lovely smile

BeStrongAndCourageous Tue 29-Mar-16 20:23:45

Ooh, what I added some other salad bits (stuffed pimiento peppers, that sort of thing), and some other cooked meats?

ShinyShinyShiny Tue 29-Mar-16 20:24:26

That sounds delicious and assuming you aren't talking toddler sized portions then I would definitely feel well fed.

BIWI Tue 29-Mar-16 20:24:38

I would think that was more than lovely and wouldn't need you to suddenly panic and add other salad bits!

What's your address, by the way? wink

guineapig1 Tue 29-Mar-16 20:24:55

Just the chicken, salad and wine sounds fab. I would be delighted!

ShinyShinyShiny Tue 29-Mar-16 20:25:39

Other salad bits are always good but I wouldn't add other cooked meats too, I think the roast chicken is plenty.

I'm veggie, but otherwise it sounds perfect. I'd prefer soft drinks though - drinking at lunchtime makes me too sleepy!

BeStrongAndCourageous Tue 29-Mar-16 20:25:52

Good stuff, thank you both. It's one of my favourite meals but not serving it with potatoes makes the Irish Grandma who lives in my head cry grin

IndigoApple Tue 29-Mar-16 20:25:57

Sounds delicious and I'd be happy with that but if you added tomatoes or peppers it would look more colourful! What about coleslaw? Wouldn't bother with other meat.

What's for pudding?

ImperialBlether Tue 29-Mar-16 20:26:35

When I read the heading, this is what I thought I'd cook! I'd perhaps add some new potatoes in case someone's really hungry.

BeStrongAndCourageous Tue 29-Mar-16 20:27:32

That moved fast, thank you all!

Remus, I'll provide soft drinks too, but I know our guests will want/expect booze!

BIWI Tue 29-Mar-16 20:30:28

Ignore Remus. Plenty of booze is good grin

BeStrongAndCourageous Tue 29-Mar-16 20:31:54

Haven't decided on pudding yet. I'm tempted by strawberries and cream with some shortbread - I'd normally wait for the British strawberries to be out but we had some delicious Belgian ones last week.

If I decide I need something more substantial there's a shop near me that sells amazing puddings so I could get something from there - maybe pecan pie with salted caramel ice cream?

IndigoApple Tue 29-Mar-16 20:32:04

How'd you know it'll be sunny? smile

MinnieMalloy Tue 29-Mar-16 20:32:31

Sounds delicious. Like my perfect 'sunny Saturday' lunch, actually!

And howling at the Irish Grandma in your head grin I have one, too. DH asked me why we have new potatoes, Maris Pipers and baking potatoes in the fridge a few days ago, despite the fact he is low carbing and the DC arent that fussed about potatoes either way.

I just get the Irish Grandmas sweats if I don't have a sack of spuds in grin

fuzzywuzzy Tue 29-Mar-16 20:34:56

Mini, you keep potatoes in the fridge? <misses point of thread entirely>

BeStrongAndCourageous Tue 29-Mar-16 20:37:11

Triumph of optimism over experience Indigo!

Minnie, just this weekend DH plucked up the courage to ask why we always have to have at least two kinds of potato with Sunday lunch, and got a startled look and "but why wouldn't you?!" as a response. Some habits are hard to break!

Lenazabaglione Tue 29-Mar-16 20:37:11

Would your Irish Grandma be happy with a potato salad on the side?

TheCrowFromBelow Tue 29-Mar-16 20:37:21

A proper roast chicken Caesar salad is a thing of beauty and doesn't require extras.
Booze is good though.
Sounds lovely!

Potterwolfie Tue 29-Mar-16 20:38:07

That's one of my absolute favourite lunches to serve, and to eat. I might have to sneak in some tiny very buttery new potatoes in there too though. Yum. Am going to make that this weekend, ta for inspiration!

Laska5772 Tue 29-Mar-16 20:39:15

I'd add a cheese board, a couple of big bowls of 'naice' crisps, cherry tomatoes and maybe a plate of ham slices or pate? ?

BeStrongAndCourageous Tue 29-Mar-16 20:39:47

I don't think she could get her head round the concept of cold potatoes Lenazabaglione.

DH would be happy though, he loves potato salad.

BeStrongAndCourageous Tue 29-Mar-16 20:43:09

I think a cheeseboard is a good idea (has just been on the "what's your favourite cheese?" thread).

IndigoApple Tue 29-Mar-16 20:43:57

You don't live in Scotland then BeStrong.

Pecan pie with salted caramel ice cream sounds fab. Or what about Eton Mess?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now