Talk

Advanced search

help! leg of lamb

(19 Posts)
Tommy Sat 26-Mar-16 14:32:12

Order a boned and rolled leg of lamb from a "nice" butcher with the idea of asking how to cook it when I collected it. DH had just picked it up but didn't ask hmm. He's a vegetarian and I've never cooked it before and we have 12 people for lunch tomorrow! What's the best thing to do with it? Don't want to muck it up as it was quite pricey. Have looked at some recipes but not sure I should marinate it or just keep it simple. Any tips please - much appreciated !

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 26-Mar-16 14:39:16

Garlic, rosemary and salt, and maybe a bit of anchovy paste to help bring out the flavour. Rub rather than marinade.

dementedma Sat 26-Mar-16 14:41:31

I have ours sitting in a bag with oil, lemon zest, smashed garlic gloves, rosemary and thyme.keep giving it a squidgeable every now and then.
Tomorrow will just roast it.

dementedma Sat 26-Mar-16 14:42:01

Cloves, not gloves!

TrainBridge Sat 26-Mar-16 14:42:54

Cut garlic into chunky slices, rub over lamb then slit sling with knife and put garlic chunks under the skin (space them out a bit). Sprinkle over rosemary and salt.

From memory (but check) it's 25 mins per 500g at 180C, plus 20 mins.

TrainBridge Sat 26-Mar-16 14:43:25

Skin, not sling!

Fauchelevent Sat 26-Mar-16 16:04:58

BBC Good Food just posted a leg on the bone with basil and mint pesto! Looks lovely!

Shakey15000 Sat 26-Mar-16 16:07:53

demented that sounds gorgeous! What time did you say dinner was again? grin

JillJ72 Sat 26-Mar-16 16:10:25

Thank you - prompted me to get ours out to defrost! Garlic, rosemary and salt are a classic comb with lamb. And mint sauce

Tommy Sat 26-Mar-16 16:12:09

Thanks all - I'm a bit short of ingredients TBH - this is our first entertaining since having new kitchen so might need to have a scout around and see what I can find! Thank you

ZenNudist Sat 26-Mar-16 16:16:22

Maybe I'm boring but other than sitting it on some rosemary and sticking half an onion into colour up the gravy nicely I don't do anything to a decent quality leg of lamb,

Years of sticking small sprigs of rosemary into them or running with lemon and garlic or thyme or anchovy (cf nigel slater, kitchen diaries), discovered you don't need to do anything much.

Do you have a separator jug to make the gravy with?

dementedma Sat 26-Mar-16 16:22:03

shakey about 2pm. Served with potatoes dauphinoise, green veg. Followed by key lime pie. Bring a bottle of wine....

Tommy Sat 26-Mar-16 16:46:38

Wasn't really planning to make gravy...confused

Tommy Sat 26-Mar-16 16:46:57

I usually just use granules...confusedconfused

Shakey15000 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:24:25

Done smile

Coincidentally, I've just had potato dauphinoise and green veg with a gorgeous sirloin steak, heavily seasoned, cooked in oil and butter. And I'm guzzling a rather nice pinot.

<packs more vino for tomorrow>

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 26-Mar-16 20:57:32

I have just had salsa verde with mine. Oh yes.
Bloody love dauphinoise though...

NanoTechMum Sat 26-Mar-16 21:04:30

I mix up equal amounts of oil and lemon and add to that crushed garlic, salt and bay leaves. I cut lines into the lamb and brush the mixture onto the lamb including right inside the lines I have scored. End result is delicious. I am doing this tomorrow with two legs of lamb!

purpleporpoise Sat 26-Mar-16 21:10:09

If you're on Facebook, look at the Tasty page, there's a video of a recipe that looks fab

Tommy Mon 28-Mar-16 20:47:18

a marinade of red wine, olive oil with garlic, mixed dried herbs (all I had!), lemon zest and lots of salt and pepper. It went down very well - thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now