Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Butternut squash

(15 Posts)
Idefix Mon 21-Mar-16 19:34:28

So I had a butternut squash that has been loitering in my larder for a wee while in danger of loitering for much longer
So I roasted it and now wondering what I could do with it rather than soup, as always make soup.
Ideas please smile

I had macaroni cheese in a restaurant recently, that had pureed butternut folded into it. Was delicious.

Or you could mix it with beans and spices and use to fill tacos or burritos. Or fold it into dhal with some chopped spinach.

BIWI Mon 21-Mar-16 19:37:50

I roast it, with lots of olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and a sprinkling of chilli flakes. Then when it's lovely and soft, I crumble feta cheese on to it and cook for another 5 minutes or so, to melt the cheese.

puft Mon 21-Mar-16 19:39:07

food52.com/recipes/26165-moro-s-warm-squash-chickpea-salad-with-tahini
This Moro recipe is great.

pieceofpurplesky Mon 21-Mar-16 19:44:01

I eat it like a jacket potato - with salad, cheese etc

MeganChips Mon 21-Mar-16 19:46:56

Cut it into chunks and roast them with red onion and any other veg you fancy. Add feta and wrap in filo to make parcels then bake.

MeganChips Mon 21-Mar-16 19:47:30

Or cut in half and bake in the oven then top with spicy lamb mince.

CremeEggThief Mon 21-Mar-16 19:49:10

Butternut squash risotto is fab. I think there's a recipe for it on BBC good food.

Idefix Mon 21-Mar-16 19:49:57

mmm really liking the macaroni idea grin
Actually all these suggestions sound yummy.

FawnDrench Mon 21-Mar-16 20:22:17

Nadiya's Hussain's column this week features a recipe for Butternut squash cheesecake, which looks wonderful.

Dancingqueen17 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:06:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Mon 21-Mar-16 22:08:03

Pasta, crumbled feta, roasted butternut squash, onions and sweet potatoes. Lovely!

Blue That sounds bloody lovely.

SirChenjin Tue 22-Mar-16 17:18:28

Peel, chop and roast the butternut squash in olive oil with some garlic, and then after about 10 mins add some baby tomatoes - cook until slightly caramelised. Scrape the whole lot into cooked pasta and add lots of wilted spinach and mozzarella. Heat until the mozzarella starts to melt a bit. You can add some chilli flakes for zing.

My absolute favourite pasta dish.

Jenijena Tue 22-Mar-16 17:21:27

Had a good salad with it in today - with goats cheese, beetroot and walnuts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now