Talk

Advanced search

Vegan banana muffin recipe?

(9 Posts)
Mistigri Mon 21-Mar-16 07:23:45

I have a bunch of going-off bananas that normally I would use in muffins, but my eldest has recently gone vegan and I'd like her to be able to eat them.

Can anyone suggest an egg-free banana muffin/cake/bread type recipe, that doesn't taste too much like "health food"?

fascicle Wed 23-Mar-16 19:55:15

Hopefully you managed to find a recipe before your bananas expired/imploded. I've made banana muffins before by adapting an existing muffin recipe, but reducing the wet ingredient(s) and adding 1-2 mashed bananas plus cinnamon or mixed spice.

Mistigri Wed 23-Mar-16 22:22:03

Thanks fascicle. Unfortunately the vegan recipes I've found on the Internet seem rather complicated and usually require special ingredients (flax seed flour? yeah right). The simpler ones get terrible reviews.

So the bananas are still going black in the fruit bowl And I've raided the supermarket for soya yoghurts and vegan biscuits.

fascicle Thu 24-Mar-16 09:04:04

It's a while since I've made them, but I use an adapted Cranks recipe (originally for Devon apple cake). I don't religiously follow recipes, so tend to make things slightly differently each time. The adapted recipe goes something like this:

4 oz soft brown sugar
4 oz marge (I use Pure Sunflower)
1 - 2 bananas, mashed
8 oz self raising flour, sieved
1 tsp of cinnamon or mixed spice
pinch of salt if desired
splash of soya milk if needed

(I sometimes add raisins or chocolate chips to mixture and sometimes sprinkle caster sugar on top of muffins before cooking.)

Mix sugar and marge and add mashed banana. Add cinnamon or mixed spice to sieved flour and add to wet ingredients. I then add a small amount of soya milk so that the consistency looks right. Makes about 8 muffins I think, cooked at about 170 degrees for 15 minutes or until cooked.

The recipe from which this is adapted called for one egg. I use a little soya milk so the consistency is wet enough. In my opinion leaving out one egg doesn't make a lot of difference, although you can add a pinch of baking powder to the s/raising flour to ensure the muffins rise enough (my cakes seem fine without it and if you add too much baking powder, you can get a bitter taste and too much rising). The original recipe also asked for wholemeal s/r flour, whereas white is also fine. The recipe is quite heavy on flour, but the taste is good. I use another wetter mixture for chocolate muffins, with less flour, but I don't think it would work so well for banana muffins.

Hamsolo Thu 24-Mar-16 09:37:04

I used to do an egg free recipe that was very Victoria sponge like.

4oz flour
4 oz butter- or butter equivalent (melted) (can use 100ml oil if preferred)
1 banana
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vinegar or orange juice. (You can't taste it either way, and you get a better rise from the vinegar)
1 tsp vanilla essence or vanilla powder

I mainly made them with actual butter for a friend who couldn't eat egg, as she did eat butter and I think they taste better (sorry vegans). But I have done the oil version and it tastes fine.

fascicle Thu 24-Mar-16 12:07:06

Is there any added sugar in your recipe Ham?

Mistigri Thu 24-Mar-16 15:43:57

Thank you very much for the suggestions. smile

5minutestobed Thu 24-Mar-16 15:46:55

I use this but double the quantities' as they don't last long our house!
www.retrodelicious.co.uk/2014/07/recipe-hack-jack-monroes-vegan-banana.html?m=1#.VvQLnkZFDK0

5minutestobed Thu 24-Mar-16 15:48:49

Oh and its for banana loaf but it works as muffins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now