Talk

Advanced search

When to add peas to cottage pie

(9 Posts)
DarkDarkNight Sun 20-Mar-16 12:26:56

Let me preface this by saying I am a useless cook!

Do I add them to the mince mix, or boil them separately and stir them in at the end?

Thank you

ClashCityRocker Sun 20-Mar-16 12:30:14

Never!

My mum used to bung them in the mince mix though

DarkDarkNight Sun 20-Mar-16 12:38:20

Haha, I know some people think that.

I personally like it with carrots/swede/peas in. A bit of broccoli on the side and I don't have to worry about extra veg.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 20-Mar-16 12:40:09

Either.

SanityClause Sun 20-Mar-16 12:43:31

I usually out onions carrots and celery in first, and cook that for some time, but add frozen peas just before the mince is done, because, they really just need to warm through. If I were using fresh peas (but why would you?) I guess I would have to cook them for a little longer.

DarkDarkNight Sun 20-Mar-16 12:51:36

Will they go really hard once they've been cooked in with the mince or boiled then cooked in the oven as well?

APotterWithAHappyAtmosphere Sun 20-Mar-16 12:55:36

No they'll go pretty soft, I would add them to the mince just a few minutes before you're ready to assemble the pie.

DarkDarkNight Sun 20-Mar-16 12:59:38

Great, thank you.

GoblinQueen Mon 21-Mar-16 16:09:01

I like to put the mince mix in the dish and then a layer of frozen peas covered with mashed potato with carrot and swede mashed in with it, the peas seem to cook just fine in the time it takes to brown in the oven.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now