(12 Posts)
Jux Sat 19-Mar-16 15:42:21

What can I make with that lot?

I also have pastry, chili, eggs, etc.

Any ideas welcomed!

Jux Sat 19-Mar-16 17:56:55

I've boiled the yam, and mashed it.
I've mashed the plantains.

I think I'll make an asparagus quiche and see if inspiration hits me.

I think I had been thinking of making some sort of pie with plantain in the filling, and covered with mashed yam a bit like shepherd's pie. But I can't think of what I can put with the plantain as filling. I have been precipitate with my cooking, and should have put more thought into it.

Jux Sat 19-Mar-16 17:58:56

Or maybe I could make plantain quiche-type thing.
Or put the plantain in little parcels of pastry.

But, what can I do with the mashed yam? Aaaaargh!

I have to feed people with this lot. Bums.

squashtastic Sat 19-Mar-16 17:59:13

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10033/aubergine-tomato-and-parmesan-bake-melanzane-alla-

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/creamy-asparagus-puffs

bigTillyMint Sat 19-Mar-16 18:01:09

I would have said fry the plantain - it's lush friedsmile

IAmcuriousyellow Sat 19-Mar-16 18:02:31

Plantains are yum. I would have sliced and fried them. Agree with mashing the yam. The aubergine makes a lovely dish fried with chilli and turmeric with a chopped tomato thrown in and a garlicky yogurty sauce along with it is just lush. Sweet potato - maybe just bake and scoff with the rest? Asparagus -just extravagantly buttered!

What have you decided to do? I love this kind of thing

IAmcuriousyellow Sat 19-Mar-16 18:04:28

How about letting the mashed yam cool and doing flour/egg/breadcrumb balls? (I'm all about the frying it seems!)

GingerIvy Sat 19-Mar-16 18:29:28

Oh, yes, fried plantains are lovely. We lived in Puerto Rico for a year when I was a child, and that was something we had lots of! Yum!! Now I'm going to have to get some..... grin

Jux Sat 19-Mar-16 18:37:18

Yes, I should have fried the plantain, but that's what I always do with it, and thought I'd do something different. I found some recipes which said mash it, mix it with stuff, then roll into balls and fry. I might do that. I'm quite tempted to just eat the whole bowlful though, the smell is really getting to me and I love banana!

As for the yam, it stuck to the bottom of the pan and those bits are well stuck, but the rest is mashed (huge amount of it!) but too dry. Will have to play with it.....

I wonder if I could mix yam and plantain and turn them into balls. Maybe a little chili. Hmm, maybe not.

The other stuff I think will keep for tomorrow to have with lunch.

bigTillyMint Sat 19-Mar-16 19:08:01

Re the yam, I think it is usually pounded until all the lumps are gone and mixed with some of the cooking liquid till it is soft. But you could try eating it like mashed potato - with butter? And a stew to soak into it!

Jux Sat 19-Mar-16 19:24:09

Ooh stew! I wonder if you mix it with suet, you could make dumplings?

(We have a nice bit of brisket for tomorrow. Nice stew, come to me little stew...)

Qwebec Sun 20-Mar-16 01:25:56

I simply steam asparagus and eat it like this as a side dish. Some people add salt pepper and butter.
My favorite eggplant recepy:
www.mypersiankitchen.com/borani-bademjan-ba-ghojeh-faranghi-eggplant-with-tomato-dip/
I add lots of garlic and ginger

this is also fantastic www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chickpea-and-eggplant-salad

sweet potatoes: baked with the jacket, add butter after
I rarely buy yam as it tends to be forgotten intill I have to throw it out so no helpful ideas in that departement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now