Talk

Advanced search

Fish recipe ideas for someone who has never eaten fish before?!

(24 Posts)
Nickname1980 Thu 17-Mar-16 19:20:24

I have never eaten fish, but I think it's really healthy and think I would like to try it. Totally put off by the smell though!

What good recipe should I try? Hidden fish in curry? Or a fish pie?

I always used to like prawn cocktail crisps (!) when I was younger, so always imagined I might like prawns. No idea. Maybe something mild like salmon or cod would be better?! No clue.

Plus, what's the healthiest fish? I am also really keen to buy sustainable, etc.

HomeMeasurements Thu 17-Mar-16 19:45:17

Fish cakes definitely best thinh to try if you are unsure about fish.

bilbodog Thu 17-Mar-16 20:23:10

I'm not a great fish eater but I love smoked fish, smoked salmon or smoked haddock in a kedgeree?

Jenijena Thu 17-Mar-16 20:25:50

Fish cakes if you're not sure.

Fish pie mix is all cut up already and fairly easy to make into fish pie, or cooked with a creamy sauce and pasta.

Prawns are really tasty stir fried.

Treat a salmon steak as you might a chicken (although a little more delicately) - fry it, or bake in the oven, or grill it.

daisydalrymple Thu 17-Mar-16 20:31:20

I cook salmon or trout fillets wrapped in a loose foil 'tent' with lemon juice or other flavours, just on a tray 15-20 mins.

Personally I really dislike fish curry, I find the smell off putting so I would steer clear as a starter dish!

Fresh tune steak is nice (but can be a little pricey), doesn't need a lot if cooking, a few mins each side on a griddle / frying pan.

King prawns are great in a risotto.

daisydalrymple Thu 17-Mar-16 20:32:27

Tuna not tune grin

And the salmon goes in the oven around 200•

TyneTeas Thu 17-Mar-16 20:46:30

here are some quick and easy recipes which don't taste too fishy

chilli prawn curry
tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/chilli-prawn-curry.html

prawns with chorizo and/or chicken and peppers in rice
tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/rice-with-chorizo-and-prawns-sometimes.html

Fish stew (you can use frozen fillets)
tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/fish-stew.html

Toffeelatteplease Thu 17-Mar-16 20:51:50

Nooooooooo not fish cakes! I love fish but fish cakes are awful. The texture sad

Salmon in tomato sauce with pasta.

CrumpetsAndGin Thu 17-Mar-16 21:22:40

I am a convert to fish. Some of the quick recipes that I've stuck onto integrated into our weekly meals have included:

Tomato and thyme cod

Sticky cod with celeriac and parsley mash

and my personal favourite of smoked salmon and asparagus pasta, which is literally just cook pasta and aspargus, chop up spring onions and smoked salmon and mix together with a glob of creme fraiche

VulcanWoman Thu 17-Mar-16 21:57:05

I'd get yourself to a good fish and chip shop, white fish in batter has the mildest taste IMO.

cdtaylornats Thu 17-Mar-16 23:16:26

If you want to disguise a fishy smell then curry is fine, use a firm fish like monkfish - added bonus no bones.

I do this Salmon curry
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4728/red-thai-salmon-curry

My lazy dish is a packet of mixed seafood warmed up in Loyd Grossman Tomato & Chilli sauce and served with pasta.

CointreauVersial Thu 17-Mar-16 23:24:26

Salmon fillets are great - lovely, mild flavour and dead easy to cook.

Oven-bake for 15-20 minutes - you can jazz them up by spreading something on top before you put in the oven. Favourites include:
- pesto
- hoisin sauce
- sesame oil and Chinese 5 Spice
- lime juice/zest, breadcrumbs, butter, mustard

Don't overcook - should be soft and moist, slightly pink, not dry.

SealSong Thu 17-Mar-16 23:27:02

However you decide to cook your fish, do try to buy it from a proper fishmonger rather than the supermarket. Fish from fishmongers is usually much fresher and better quality and therefore more delicious, - and less smelly. Really fresh fish has barely any smell. Supermarket fish is not so fresh and smells stronger. Frozen fish is not brilliant as well, as freezing can spoil the texture,
Fishmonger all the way!

Katarzyna79 Thu 17-Mar-16 23:57:17

i warn you i may go on a bit ignore me if u want i understand lol

banglas are known for eating fish but its mainly curries. fried fish too, fish chutneys. Bombay stinky duck lol, don't go near Bombay duck otherwise u may never touch fish again lool

try a masala fried fish doesn't smell at all. you need a firm fish in steak form, I use bangaldeshi frozen fish, if ur near an Asian area youll find it easily. also tescos in ethnic areas stock it all, I'm not lucky enough to live near a tescos like that life would be so easy just one grocery shop rather than 2.

otherwise ask your fishmonger because I'm not too sure on british fish in terms of firmness.

anyway take your steaks we usually sprinkle in salt, bit of water and delicately wash and rinse with cold water , rinse 2nd time drain it well. I usually pat the pieces dry and squeeze slightly, quicker than waiting for it to dry. Then add 1/2--1tsp of turmeric, 1/4 tsp or less of chilli for colour or paprika, salt important to taste, 1/2 curry powder, 1/2 tsp cumin. just for one or 2 people. Then some veg oil enough for a shallow fry high heat initially fry each side 2-3 mins depending on thickness and type of fish. once fish is in reduce heat just slightly

serve with white rice and you can fry onions with bit of salt finely sliced, a few slit or non slit green finger chillies cooked with it for fragrance and/or heat. mum always served it like this.

if youre lucky enough to get Bangladeshi fish go for a few slices or frozen block of "Rohu"fish this famous for this dish, 2nd choice "Ayr" fish. it does have big bones in it don't be afraid just chew thoroughly and check fish thorough as you eat it., there are no tiny bones so don't worry. very quick recipe. I do use salmon sometimes but need to be careful dries out easily. I think salmon is better without spices though it loses its fragrance if coated in indian spices.

if you prefer western dishes something really simple nice steamed fish ina parcel. I think I took it off uktv food or bbc good food site have look, I make it a lot. I steam whole trout, trout is deelish, bit like salmon but more delicate. usually just lots salt pepper on outside with oil. stuff inside with finely sliced onion, wedges of lemon I never use more than half recipe calls for lots? coriander, bashed garlic cloves can leave skin on they will be removed before eating anyway, chillies or chilli flakes optional. wrap cooker on 200c 30 mins should be done. id checl after twenty u want a bit of sauce left to eat it with. serve with white rice. its gorgeous and so easy you can relax while its getting cooked!

I love fish pies but my husband even though he loves fish doesn't like it don't know why. make a tiny portion for 2 see if you like it.

prawn buna curry with potato chunks is wicked. make sure its hot and spicy. obviously ill recommend a Bengali recipe, but indian ones are just as good.

if you can handle the heat Thai green or red curry with king prawns is heavenly. if you don't like coconut milk then pass on it, you can ask for a special thai fried rice with king prawn, kafir lime leaves, basil leaf.

or jungle curry. jungle curry has no coconut milk but its still very hot I love thai food I better stop my fish rant lool

ive never had british fish stew I think ill try that tyne, seen a version on masterchef just not got around to trying it.

had Bangladeshi fish stew has bombaby duck in it, chunks of fish and/or prawns, potatoe, colocasia stems. stinky salty fish but its mega hot curry packs a punch, if anyone is ill this curry will knock u into shape lool They use naga chiilies in it, or bhut jolokia. My mum always said the African naga chillies were the fieriest I couldn't tell theyre all hot to me. mind u when I'm pregnant I can eat raw naga and not feel the heat until the very last morsel. even then it doesn't make my eyes water, must be pregnancy hormones? Usually I cant handle it raw. Everytime I'm pregnant husband challenges me, course he loses after munching half of it.

Katarzyna79 Fri 18-Mar-16 00:00:25

prawns are always good OP even if you mess up the recipe still tastes great

prawn coated in breadcrumbs or batter Chinese or Thai style guaranteed you will love them, its more of a starter though.

KateInKorea Fri 18-Mar-16 00:04:10

This recipe is so delicious although I substitute the handful of black olives with a couple of anchovies which I think gives a better umami taste.

Nickname1980 Sat 19-Mar-16 21:40:57

I love all these tips!!! Thank you! This weekend I am going to get trying! Eek!

mandysneakyveg Sat 19-Mar-16 23:20:14

I'm a lifelong veggie and tried to start eating fish a few years ago but couldn't do it! I reckon start with a simple white fish like cod or similar - I tried mackerel and it was too strong and the texture of prawns put me off completely!

nattyknitter Sat 19-Mar-16 23:44:23

I don't like salmon, or non-fish seafood, so definitley nothing in shells, slimy or creepy crawly. I find tinned fish too fishy tasting.

I like to keep the fish simple.

White fish, brush with oil, sprinkle with cajun seasoning, bung it in the oven.

White fish pie, done with veg (usually peas, sweetcorn, carrots, sometimes cauli) and a basic white sauce (butter, flour, milk, parsley). Usually topped with mash, but sometimes I shove crushed new potatoes with the skin on in the sauce and put a puff pastry top on.

I also like smoked haddock and usually have this with peas, peppers and rice.

nattyknitter Sat 19-Mar-16 23:46:31

I don't like salmon, or non-fish seafood, so definitley nothing in shells, slimy or creepy crawly. I find tinned fish too fishy tasting.

I like to keep the fish simple.

White fish, brush with oil, sprinkle with cajun seasoning, bung it in the oven.

White fish pie, done with veg (usually peas, sweetcorn, carrots, sometimes cauli) and a basic white sauce (butter, flour, milk, parsley). Usually topped with mash, but sometimes I shove crushed new potatoes with the skin on in the sauce and put a puff pastry top on.

I also like smoked haddock and usually have this with peas, peppers and rice.

scribblegirl Sat 19-Mar-16 23:50:58

This is a firm favourite at ours - Baked Fish with Chorizo Crust

www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/baked-fish-with-chorizo-crust#Hki0jbdQQKbJX7xI.97

AnotherEmma Sat 19-Mar-16 23:54:00

Salmon is very healthy (high in omega-3s) and it has quite a "meaty" texture. You can break it into pieces and have it in stir fry or pasta. If I remember rightly there's a yummy recipe for salmon pasta bake on BBC Good Food.

Sea bass is one of my favourite fish, it's a white fish with a lovely delicate flavour. It's not too "fishy".

And I agree with the PP who suggested going to a good fish and chip shop. Try a small battered cod. You can't really go wrong with that!

Fish cakes don't taste like fish any more than chicken nuggets taste like roast chicken. Completely different things. The only fish cakes that taste decent are the luxury ones (eg Waitrose Extra Special or Tesco Finest or Sainsburys TtD) that actually have pieces of fish in them.

Prawns aren't really fish, they're seafood. But they're tasty!

AnotherEmma Sat 19-Mar-16 23:57:02

PS I don't recommend trying anything too strong to begin with, like smoked haddock or anchovies. IMO they're an acquired taste and might put you off. (I used to hate smoked haddock - I do like it now but only occasionally and in small quantities.)

Awholelottanosy Sun 20-Mar-16 00:02:11

Can't cook fish at all so just place marking. Fish finger sandwich anyone...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now