Talk

Advanced search

What's your favourite lunch / salad to take to work?

(31 Posts)
Rathkelter Tue 08-Mar-16 20:07:56

I'm starting work again in the Spring and will need to bring lunch in. I don't want to resort to sandwiches every day and will need something filling to get me through the day since the canteen food is gross there is no option to buy anything near by. What lunches are your favourites?

willfuckformichilenstarfood Tue 08-Mar-16 20:09:26

Pasta salad is lovely, so are wraps (left over from fajita night with maybe chicken Caesar etc x

Rathkelter Tue 08-Mar-16 20:13:22

What do you put in your pasta salad, will?

Ktay Tue 08-Mar-16 20:14:01

If you have an M&S near home you could stock up on a combo of their lovely 2 for £3 salads and take a mix of those in? Wish I'd discovered them when I was working, maybe they're a new thing...

Rathkelter Tue 08-Mar-16 20:15:45

They do have lovely salads Ktay but I want to try and make my own as it's definitely better value in the long run. I guess I should look at their ingredients and copy!

Chelsea26 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:21:30

Get yourself a few mason jars and google the recipes - there are 100's online and they are amazing. The best thing is you can make them on Sunday and they last all week! My favourites were a vita nation chicken one and a black bean one

Emz449 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:22:49

I love making butternut squash soup, mexican chicken stew, chilli con carne and when the weathers warmer a chicken salad with coleslaw, sweetcorn or whatever you fancy really. I make things in bulk on a sunday so i can just defrost what i want from the freezer and take it in. We also don't have any shops near us so you have to be prepared or buy something from the crap sandwich van!

SecretWitch Tue 08-Mar-16 20:26:07

Tuna with walnuts and apple chopped in, bit of mayo..eaten alone or in a wrap.

Sandyclaus Tue 08-Mar-16 20:27:00

My salads are - salad leaves, cucumber, tomato, red onion or spring onion, sometimes with grated carrot or avocado, pomegranate seeds - plus a protein (ham / chicken / tuna) and a little bit of carb (cous cous or pasta). By varying the protein or adding other stuff like sometimes a piece of quiche or a boiled egg or something it tastes different every day, and also keeps me full all day

Rathkelter Tue 08-Mar-16 20:27:46

Ooh! Have just looked at Mason Jars Chelsea. Didn't realise there was a hold world of stuff out there I never knew about. mason jar salads

Chelsea26 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:40:02

That's how I felt! And they really do last a week - amazing! Good luck back at work

Rathkelter Tue 08-Mar-16 20:48:15

Thanks Chelsea! What size jar did you buy? Did you get them from Amazon? There are a few brands out there but looks as though the lids don't always last long on some of them.

DottyBee Tue 08-Mar-16 20:53:39

Oooh, I could do with some of these. Watching to see where I should buy some from.

NotPennysBoat Tue 08-Mar-16 21:02:51

I got mine from IKEA - cheap as chips and they don't leak.

SwedishEdith Tue 08-Mar-16 21:13:32

Oh, I love those Mason jar salads but know I won't make one.

YouCanCallMeBetty Tue 08-Mar-16 22:10:22

On a Sunday I roast a load of veg (courgette, pepper, aubergine, red onion) with olive oil, garlic and chilli, and cook up some bulgur wheat or couscous. Mix it all together in a big Tupperware with some shredded leftover chicken or ham. Decant into smaller Tupperwares each day and it lasts DH and me until Wednesday, when I do another batch.

willfuckformichilenstarfood Tue 08-Mar-16 23:26:19

Sorry for late reply.

I do alsorts of pasta dishes.
Tuna, spring onion mixed up with abit of salad cream (I prefer it to mayo but each to their own)
Chicken and chorizo pasta bake (make this for dinner then eat cold leftovers)
Pasta with egg, small amount of grated cheese & Mayo/SC
Sweet chilli prawns with some seasonal veg that's good cold (carrot batons etc)

Chelsea26 Wed 09-Mar-16 07:23:38

Sorry for delay - I got mine from Amazon I think the brand is bell and they are 1l and wide mouth (v important!) I've had no problems with lids so far

lastqueenofscotland Wed 09-Mar-16 13:17:22

Puy lentils with carrots roasted in spices, baby spinach and feta

Chickpeas with roasted Meg veg and feta

Chickpeas with pesto, mozzarella and cherry tomatoes

LastQueen - that puy lentil one sounds gorgeous. Do you cook your own lentils or buy tins/packets?

Not a salad but I really like Spanish omelette in a lunch box.

DXBMermaid Wed 09-Mar-16 17:47:08

If there is a microwave then things like soup, stew or a curry are great too.

I will sometimes as a treat make a taco salad. I fry mince with cajun spice and onions. Then once it's cooled off I will layer mince, cheese, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, corn (from a tin) and top with a big dollop of crème fraiche. Mix it and scoop it out with nachos. Yumyum!

Smoked salmon wraps

Cold omelet with tomatoes, spring onion and a bit of feta.

Leftover chicken with cranberries, grapes, pecan nuts, blue cheese, baby spinach and a creamy dressing.

Cold green beans with mint, feta and pomegranate seeds.

Chiccory leaves used to scoop up tuna salad. I always add diced apple, spring onions, ghurkins and a pinch of smoked paprika to mine.
Or vary with shrimp in a light curry mayo.

Rathkelter Wed 09-Mar-16 20:16:44

Some fabulous ideas on here! Feeling truly motivated to dodge the sliced bread and cheese now. Mason jar update: my local Sainsbury has 1 litre jars for £2.50. I'd say that's about the right size for a lunch salad.

lastqueenofscotland Wed 09-Mar-16 22:08:09

Remus I buy it in packets as I'm lazy and if I make something like that is usually cause I'm too busy lazy to make something proper!

Doesn't sound lazy at all - sounds like an intelligent choice to me!

redpriestandmozart Sat 12-Mar-16 20:49:36

The Domestic Geek on youtube has some fantastic healthy salad jars, lots of videos she also has a website.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRemVme-3wU&list=PLziprGSUFGYSjwuDyRuqJKmW38AV69rkt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now