Talk

Advanced search

Will stewed apple keep til' tomorrow?

(5 Posts)
MummyBtothree Sat 05-Mar-16 07:43:47

I'm planning on making a nice apple crumble for pud tomorrow but haven't made one for a while. I will make the crumble topping just before I put it in the oven but as I want to use fresh cooking apples, could I stew them beforehand today or would they really discolour?. Thanks.

treaclesoda Sat 05-Mar-16 07:47:14

They'll be fine. Once you stew them they don't go brown the way raw apples do. smile

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sat 05-Mar-16 07:49:09

Absolutely fine. treaclesoda is spot on.

treaclesoda Sat 05-Mar-16 07:50:59

You could make the crumble in advance too. Stick it in a bag in the freezer overnight and then just crush the bag between your hands and pour the crumble over the apples tomorrow and cook it straight from frozen. I sometimes make a big batch of crumble and freeze it that way.

In fact, you could make the whole crumble today and stick it in the freezer and then just cook it from frozen tomorrow. I do that all the time too - make two or three crumbles at once and stick the spare ones in the freezer for some other day.

Obviously you might already know all this, hope I'm not being patronising!

MummyBtothree Sat 05-Mar-16 08:13:23

No, nobody's being patronising, I appreciate any advice. Is it demerara sugar or light brown sugar thats meant to be nicer for a crumble?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now