Talk

Advanced search

What does carrot cake taste like?

(18 Posts)
lljkk Thu 03-Mar-16 21:32:59

I can't follow recipes, totally useless. Plus I didn't have the precise right ingredients so substituted most things today (eg: used slightly different and less sugars, more carrots, no nutmeg etc). I am happy to eat the results... but it doesn't smell or taste like "carrot cake". What is the distinctive flavour of "carrot cake", besides carrots? Is it the nutmeg?

CharleyDavidson Thu 03-Mar-16 21:34:31

I think it's the allspice.

CharleyDavidson Thu 03-Mar-16 21:34:53

I've used mixed spice for an acceptable alternative at home.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 03-Mar-16 21:35:37

Spices and juat general cake-ness.

whatdoIget Thu 03-Mar-16 21:37:33

It's the spice and the moistness I think (sorry to all those who can't stand the word moist)

lljkk Thu 03-Mar-16 21:38:08

hmmm... recipe I was following only had cinnamon & nutmeg for spices. My cinnamon is probably ancient, though, so may have lost a lot of flavour?

BertrandRussell Thu 03-Mar-16 21:40:45

I think brown sugar is vital. Mine also has orange zest. Cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. It is very good indeed-hang on, I'll link the recipe.

BertrandRussell Thu 03-Mar-16 21:44:45

here

You can use walnuts instead of pecans. And when I said nutmeg earlier I meant mixed spice. It's infallible and delicious.

And of course you can follow a recipe, woman!

lljkk Thu 03-Mar-16 21:52:07

No, really, I can't even count above 3 some days. grin

I used lemon juice because had no organic orange peel or zest,
and baking powder because had no bicarb of soda,
and ginger I did use since I had no nutmeg,
I DID use brown sugar... but recipe had called for muscavado.

Result is fine, edible, but won't satisfy my carrot cake craving...

Dancingqueen17 Thu 03-Mar-16 22:43:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BikeRunSki Thu 03-Mar-16 22:46:18

I find that wholemeal flour works really well in carrot cake.

lljkk Fri 04-Mar-16 17:47:29

I used olive oil... which might be a rank choice, for all I know, but I don't think usual veg oil adds the distinct smell or flavour.

I've found some WM flour recipes now... still in search of that elusive distinctive flavour. Will shop this weekend & experiment again! Any excuse to eat cake

BertieBotts Fri 04-Mar-16 17:50:36

Don't use olive oil in baking, it has its own flavour which will distort the flavour of the end product. Vegetable oil is better because it's flavourless. I find using oils instead of fats gives cake a horrible oily aftertexture, though.

Nydj Fri 04-Mar-16 17:53:41

Haha, sounds like you substituted all the ingredients except for carrots - erm, you did use carrots didn't you?

oldlaundbooth Fri 04-Mar-16 17:57:24

Looks good, Bertrand . I remember you are a cake baker from a previous tea room thread cake smile

BertrandRussell Fri 04-Mar-16 18:11:54

It is seriously the best carrot cake I have ever tasted. And it works every time.

[tempting fate- I have to make 6 tomorrow. Bet they all go wrong..........]

lljkk Sun 20-Mar-16 20:32:31

...fwiw, having tried many recipes since, the distinct taste is definitely orange, I've decided. Orange with the slight bicarb-of-soda or baking powder smell.

takeonefortheteam Mon 21-Mar-16 18:00:25

My favourite recipe ever is a Nigel Slater one, someone on MN told me about & it's heaven. Tis orangey though
slater carrot cake guardian

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now