Talk

Advanced search

Breakfast cereal

(8 Posts)
HildegardVonBrixham Wed 24-Feb-16 13:43:57

Hello everyone
What do people think about different cereals and finding something palatable to a three year old without clogging them up with refined sugar and salt? I've been obsessing about the content of these two elements when cruising supermarket shelves. My maths is rubbish. I know that refined sugar is EVIL but an unrefined sugar content (as part of the carb content) of say 10g in a 30g bowl could be equally bad as the same of refined sugar. I am terribly confused. I've found a cereal whose name escapes me but has a picture of a bear on it and they also make fruit bars. These are multigrain letters. I realise plain porridge oats are probably better but my daughter demands cereal.
Any thoughts?
HVonB

misscph1973 Wed 24-Feb-16 14:09:47

Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes are lowish in sugar. I consider 30% to be high (that's quite typical) and 10% to be maybe not low, but acceptable.

Waitrise do a gluten free granola that's low in sugar that I really like, but it's probably more for adults.

Beware that mueslis have high sugar content, it's the raisins.

mrswhiskers Wed 24-Feb-16 14:12:22

Weetabix is one of the lower sugar cereals. Ready Brek and shreddies aren't too bad either.
The cereal with the bear on I think is alpha bites which has no refined sugar but comparing the box I have at home (the cocoa one) with weetabix it still has 3 times as much sugar as the weetabix per 100g.

Millionprammiles Wed 24-Feb-16 15:47:32

Weetabix, Shreddies and Ready Brek (with a small amount of granola or raisins added - the compromise).

Apart from the sugar a lot of cereals aren't wholegrain or oats (and aren't slow release carbs) so nutritionally are a bit rubbish.

Dd has CNCornflakes and nutella on toast on holiday. And savours every bite knowing she won't be getting it at home.

HildegardVonBrixham Wed 24-Feb-16 16:16:17

Thank you all. What about refined v unrefined sugar?

HildegardVonBrixham Wed 24-Feb-16 16:17:25

I don't have the choc one so I'm hoping the plain is lower sugar.

HildegardVonBrixham Wed 24-Feb-16 16:23:18

Actually I've just looked up Alpha Bites and both cocoa and plain ones have 5% sugar and that comes from coconut 'nectar'. Pretty good I'd say. Hell. I'm obsessed.

misscph1973 Thu 25-Feb-16 09:21:06

No, you are right to check these things. When you look at the cereal aisle, most of it is pure crap. If you don't read the label so that you can make an informed choice, then you might end up giving your child a really bad start to the day. The creal companies try to make their sugar cereal look healthy.

My kids are 8 and 11. On school days they have either porridge made with milk and served with a knob of butter or bacon and eggs/omelette. In the weekend they are allowed Corn Flakes or Rice Crispies. If they weren't gluten-free, they would probably have Wheatabix or Shreddies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now