Talk

Advanced search

Induction hobs, any good?

(21 Posts)
AdoraBell Tue 23-Feb-16 20:29:24

House we've bought doesn't have gas in the kicthen so I'm enduring the electric hob until we replace it. I hate electric hobs.

DH doesn't want the cost and disruption of routing gas into the kitchen and is proposing that we get an induction hob.

So, are they any good, do you rate your's, and will a confirmed gas hob loving, electric hating person be able to get accustomed to one?

TIA smile

IggertyZiggertyZoom Tue 23-Feb-16 20:34:26

I love mine but I did have to buy a new set of pans as not all work with induction. It very responsive and similar to cooking with gas IMO.

I also love the fact that it is cool enough to touch immediately, so you can effectively use it as part of your counter giving addition preparation space.

HixieRice Tue 23-Feb-16 20:35:24

Love ours, and my first choice was gas too. It's quick, you have precise control of the heat and its so easy to clean. I use it as an ironing board for small jobs!
Can be a pain not being able to use aluminium pans sometimes.

SellFridges Tue 23-Feb-16 20:35:56

I also love ours. Again, we had to buy some new pans (but not all). We have a small kitchen really so it's great extra worktop space when needed.

I wouldn't go back to gas.

Onsera3 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:38:20

Love my induction hob.

It's much quicker than any gas one I've ever used. Also can turn it down lower which works for me esp when cooking rice using absorption method. I don't like gas- the noise and the way it goes up the side of a pan.

So much easier to wipe down an induction hob!

My sister has always had top of the range gas hobs and couldn't believe how much more quickly something will come to the boil on my induction one.

The only downside is not being able to use all pots and pans on there. IKEA has a good selection though.

Orangesarenot Tue 23-Feb-16 20:44:14

Love our induction hob for all the reasons above. And also, the gas bill went down far more than the electric bill went up when we switched!

ZiggyFartFace Tue 23-Feb-16 20:57:20

Love mine. Cooks brilliantly. Fantastic investment. Always clean too!

NotMrsTumble Tue 23-Feb-16 21:03:06

Love mine. Was always a gas hob person but decided to go for induction hob after much research when designing new kitchen as much sleeker/safer where it was going to be situated (close to breakfast bar). Much faster for eg boiling water, and much easier to clean. Plus no naked flames for the kids to poke things into.

Lilymaid Tue 23-Feb-16 21:04:14

Bought one (AEG) after a life time of using Gas. IT is been better than Gas and a thousand times easier to clean.

ouryve Tue 23-Feb-16 21:04:35

Not just good, better than gas.

So long as you aren't a poncey cheffy (pan) tosser!

bigbadbarry Tue 23-Feb-16 21:04:52

Yes: love mine too

SingaSong12 Tue 23-Feb-16 22:22:20

Can I tag on to ask whether the pabs are much heavier?

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 23-Feb-16 22:28:20

Oh it's amazing. DH's party trick is to put a big pan of water on and ask people how long they'll think it will take to boil (2 mins from the cold tap and yes, our parties could be more fun).

Do it.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 23-Feb-16 22:45:14

Just to throw a spanner in the works grin we've got a gas hob running off Calor bottles outside. I'd much rather have an induction hob though. Simply wiping it clean would be an utter luxury. My next cooker will be self cleaning with an induction hob.

I have seven burners on my cooker. Each one has four removeable parts. So that's twenty eight separate bits to clean. Not to mention the bloody heavy wrought iron pan rests on top. I dream of induction. grin

AdoraBell Tue 23-Feb-16 22:51:57

Thanks everyone, good to see positive responses grin

Luckily we already have the "right" pans so that's not an issue.

higge Wed 24-Feb-16 12:55:50

I love the safety aspect. But the glass on ours has cracked in a couple of places and it needs serious scrubbing if you have grease on the underside of your pans - it transfers. We have both gas and induction - the induction is always the first choice.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 24-Feb-16 14:09:48

Yes, get one.

They are fabby & so easy to clean.

Are you anywhere near the Miele outlet in Oxfordshire?. They have them in sometimes.

AdoraBell Wed 24-Feb-16 14:22:12

I'm not Fluffy but will look them up, thanks for the tip.

HixieRice Wed 24-Feb-16 21:43:07

Singa the pans are quite a bit heavier, I can see that someone with arthritis (for example) might struggle.
I've just thought, too, that my parents find ours quite tricky - the buttons which aren't really buttons confuse them, and if you put a hot tray on the controls everything can switch off.
Still worth it IMO though!

MiaowTheCat Tue 01-Mar-16 15:57:27

Just swapped from gas to one ourselves. Apart from me still muttering that "it's witchcraft I tell you" at how much it makes my brain hurt that it actually works.... it's fantastic.

fruitscone Wed 02-Mar-16 08:37:56

Totally love my induction hob. When I got ours I was worried about having to change all my pans (bog standard John Lewis set). Salesman told me to just see if they were magnetic because if they were, they would be fine. So I only had to get rid of a couple of pans and it wasn't such a huge outlay. My pans aren't heavy.

Mine is a Neff and the electric oven I got with it is the bizz too. Very happy with this make.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now