Talk

Advanced search

Minimum effort tapas or similar?

(10 Posts)
Xmasbaby11 Mon 22-Feb-16 23:34:32

It's my 40th at the weekend and I am having a family lunch at our house. There will be 5 adults and our 2 dc (2 and 4) who are picky eaters. I don't want to cook, or expect anyone else to cook, so i thought I'd just buy in some tapas from Marks or Waitrose. However, they don't actually sell much prepared tapas so I'm really struggling now! I've got an idea of some cold plates but not hot ones.

cold meats (e.g. parma ham)
cheese
olives
couple of bought posh salads, e.g. bean, couscous

For hot I'm thinking paella? What else? I'm recovering from surgery at the moment so cannot get to the shops to browse.

TheGreatSnafu Tue 23-Feb-16 17:32:40

Are you using their catering facilites or buying in store?

Just some thoughts: Patatas bravas (can be hot), stuffed mushrooms, meatballs in sauce, some small kebabs (spicy chicken skewers)

tapenade crostini, sun dried tomatoes...

Happy birthday, hope you have a lovely family lunch.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 23-Feb-16 17:35:07

Thanks! I'm just buying stuff in since there's so few of us.

Oh yes - definitely patatas bravas. Meatballs would be good too as the dc would eat them!

CaitAgusMadra Tue 23-Feb-16 18:29:34

Chorizo in red wine is delicious and very low effort - bung chorizo slices in a shallow dish, cover with red wine and bake. Delicious with crusty bread to mop up the juices

Dancingqueen17 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:48:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Tue 23-Feb-16 20:55:39

You could order ready made stuff online. For example, this one has next day delivery.

Allalonenow Tue 23-Feb-16 21:00:03

If there is a Sainsburys near by they have a wide selection, also will deliver to the door, which M&S don't do.

For example, large Spanish omelette ready made, just heat up and seve in slices.
Various falafels, heat up, serve with tzadzizi.
Loads of salads, dips, types of houmus.
Spanish and Italian cold meats.

Some quick ideas, Parma ham and melon slices
Air dried beef, cream cheese and rocket rolled together.
Pizza slices cooked then served cold
Smoked salmon with potato salad

Xmasbaby11 Tue 23-Feb-16 22:57:42

Thanks, lots of great ideas! Oh yes, falafel would be good and the tortilla. We have a large Sainsburys 10 mins away so it's no problem to pick up food, and my dad is getting the Marks bits and bobs.

I am really tempted to cook some things myself that would be better freshly made, e.g. tortilla, but it's my birthday and I promised myself I would sit down and enjoy myself for a change because I always cook. No one else would want to do it, but I think they can manage to heat some things up.

I am really looking forward to it now (and planning to overbuy so we have leftovers!)!

Allalonenow Wed 24-Feb-16 10:30:46

Hope you have a lovely day Xmasbaby and don't forget the fizz! wine cake

KitKat1985 Wed 24-Feb-16 12:51:40

Not Spanish but some halloumi is lovely and only takes a couple of minutes to do, so no slaving in the kitchen for hours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now