Talk

Advanced search

Nibble ideas for 40th birthday

(5 Posts)
roseandgrey Sat 20-Feb-16 21:37:18

I'm having a small gathering (about 10/12 people) of good friends to celebrate a 40th birthday. Please may I have some suggestions for a nice selection of nibbles, that won't cost too much? I'm on a budget but still want to make it special. For pudding I'm making a fruit and cream birthday cake. Thank you so much in advance smile

Luc28 Sat 20-Feb-16 22:23:00

What about afternoon tea .... Selection of sandwiches, lots of cakes and scones and switch the tea for procecco .... Can look fab set out on a table ....

Adgefox Sat 20-Feb-16 22:28:40

Try quiches from the supermarkets. You can buy 3 for £10 in Marks & Spencer and cut them into 8 slices. I think this is easier than making your own by the time you have bought pastry, eggs, cheese and bacon etc.

You can make your own sausage rolls with bought puff pastry and taking the skins off nice sausages for the sausage meat filling. They are not hard and you can make a big plateful from one pack of pastry and a pack of 8 sausages if you cut them small.

Make your own potato wedges, par boil them first and roast in oil with salt and pepper in the oven. Or jacket potatoes in the oven. I have even roasted those tiny new potatoes in oil in the oven in their skins and they were really lush. And cheap! My friend makes her own potato salad and it is better than shop bought.

A big bowl of fresh pasta spirals with stir through tomato/pepper sauce goes a long way and is really cheap. You can add some flourishes like sliced peppers and olives so it looks home made. It really takes seconds to knock up but looks like you have made a massive effort.

Pizza sliced up and piled high always goes down well. Supermarket (I like Tesco's one) own brand thin sliced pepperoni or plain cheese is good and cheap.

I buy the pre prepared salad bowls for my spreads as I think they are cheaper than buying the salad leaves, toms, cucumber, peppers, etc separately. I normally get away with a £2/£3 salad bowl for 10 people as you don't need as much as you think. I make my own dressing with cider vinegar, honey, olive oil and grain mustard.

Home made garlic bread is always popular but hard to keep warm.

If I am feeling rich I do some racks of ribs or chicken breasts for the carnivores but I find people just love the finger foods and nibbles best.

Adgefox Sat 20-Feb-16 22:32:48

Luc28. I love the idea of afternoon tea much better than my ideas!
My friend did this when we had a girly gathering last year. She did sandwiches and scones, cream and jam with a selection of home made cakes. We had a choice of tea in bone china cups or home made punch.

It was fab. We loved the theme.

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Sun 28-Feb-16 19:24:02

I like mini yorkshire puddings (frozen everyday value ones so about 50p for 15) with a small amount of sliced roast beef and a cube of white stilton in the centre. Just bake in the oven per the instructions on the yorkies packet.

Really very yummy.

Also, get a crusty loaf from the supermarket (about £1.50). Melt some butter and cut lines horizontally and vertically into the loaf - not all the way through, just leave about 1cm at the bottom so the loaf is still attached to itself. Then stuff sliced cheese, spring onions, and melted butter into the lines. Bake until the cheese melts and you've got cheesy pull-apart bread...... Or Crack Bread as it's rightfully known: www.handletheheat.com/cheesy-garlic-herb-crack-bread/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now