Talk

Advanced search

Homemade Mayonnaise - what am i doing wrong !

(8 Posts)
Tram10 Sat 20-Feb-16 11:43:29

I follow the recipes but my mayonnaise always tastes eggy and is really yellow in colour. The recipes show a variation of colours from white to slightly yellow, but mine is always egg yolk yellow. I use lemon juice rather than white wine vinegar.

Any ideas on where I am going wrong?

TheCrowFromBelow Sat 20-Feb-16 12:02:46

What sort of eggs and oil are you using?
My home made Mayo varies in colour.
I use veg oil, free range eggs and vinegar.

Tram10 Sun 21-Feb-16 13:31:26

I am using organic eggs and light olive oil.

ErgonomicallyUnsound Mon 22-Feb-16 18:07:24

I use ground nut oil rather than olive.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 25-Feb-16 07:32:03

I'd use a plainer oil & vinegar.

Obviouspretzel Mon 29-Feb-16 08:00:25

I would also use an oil with less flavour, even light olive oil I find a little overpowering for mayonnaise.

It will be yellower than shop bought however you make it. However, how much oil are you adding ? You might be stopping adding the oil before it's all emulsified, that gives you a thinner mayonnaise and more yellow colour.

TerrysNo3 Mon 29-Feb-16 23:28:47

I use rapeseed oil and add it really really slowly at the beginning, I then add a touch of vinegar (whatever I have to hand) halfway through and then add a little bit of olive oil for flavour at the end. I was surprised how much Mayo I got out of one egg and if you keep whisking and it stays thick then keeping adding oil and this will reduce the egg flavour.

TerrysNo3 Mon 29-Feb-16 23:29:19

Also a touch of mustard powder is a nice addition

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now