Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you feed your toddler? Inspiration needed please!

(8 Posts)
SerenityReynolds Wed 10-Feb-16 20:59:03

DD1 is 3 and fortunately not a fussy eater. I just feel a bit stuck for ideas for different meals for her. Ideally they need to be minimal prep or batch cook and freezable, as I also have a 2 month old DD2.

I just feel like I'm in a bit of a rut with her meals and wondered what your favourites or stand-bys are? Or recipe books you would recommend?

Thank you!

LadyDeadpool Wed 10-Feb-16 22:04:13

Nigella's marmite spaghetti. It was recommeded on here and my 2 (nearly 3) yo loves it.
Meatballs
Noodles
Pasta in any form.
Pulled pork
Home made nuggets or fish fingers but even decent 100% chicken breast nuggets/fish fillet fingers will do.
you don't have to worry about impressing them right now just do what's easy and fills her up but is relatively healthy you can impress her when she's a fussy teen grin

Kim82 Wed 10-Feb-16 22:12:00

Things my 18 month old will eat are:

- pasta in various forms
- roast dinner
- sausage and mash
- chunky beef and veg soup
- stew
- fish fingers/chicken nuggets
- beans on toast
- potato waffles
- crumpets
- cottage pie
- steak pie
- meatballs
- tuna pasta bake
- chips (she'd eat them at every meal if she could!)
- mild curry and rice

She also eats fruit and adores peas and sweetcorn.

Other things my older kids would eat at the same age that she can't (dairy allergy) are:

- pizza
- lasagne
- leek and potato soup (a favourite)
- macaroni and cheese
- cheese on toast
- enchiladas

FusionChefGeoff Wed 10-Feb-16 22:22:30

I don't cook specific meals for my 3 yo but the things he usually likes

- pasta in any form
- salmon with pesto baked in oven served with pasta and creamy leeks. Everything turns into a delicious creamy pesto pasta mess!!
- chicken pie went down well last night - could batch cook filling and just make up pies as and when
- fajitas / wraps
- tuna melt
- hotdogs
- pitta bread stuffed with mozzarella, ham, peppers and baked in oven
- shepherds pie
- lasagne
- curry
- chilli
- stews (slow cooker is brilliant)
- paella

FelixFelix Wed 10-Feb-16 22:34:53

I have a newly fussy 2yo and she always eats the same things! Will try the marmite spaghetti recommended above as I bet she'd like it.

The things she eats are:

Egg fried rice (onion, garlic, ginger, sweetcorn, five spice, coriander, a tiny bit of soy sauce, a bit of honey and egg stir fried with cooked rice). I sometimes add salmon to this if we have any in. Smoked salmon is a good thing to have in the fridge as you can cook it extremely quickly in dishes like this.

Pesto pasta, or avocado pasta (avocado, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, basil and a splash of water whizzed in the blender and stirred through cooked spaghetti).

Scrambled egg and baked beans.

Sweetcorn fritters (Annabel Karmel recipe)

Bean chilli and rice (tin of mixed beans, passata or tin of chopped tomatoes, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander)

She will sometimes eat soup.

There's some other bits she will eat but I can't remember off the top of my head. Quite often she ends up eating weetabix after refusing to eat anything else angry

applecatchers36 Wed 10-Feb-16 22:41:35

Have a fussy toddler but will eat

Fishfingers
Sausages / frankfurters
Smoked Salmon
Pasta with cheese / pesto
Cut up cherry tomatoes/ cucumber
Peas, broccoli
Ham
Toast & marmite
Fruit
Breadsticks
Croissants/ bread rolls
Crisps/ olives
Fish pie
Boiled egg

mrsmeerkat Wed 10-Feb-16 22:59:57

I would love some ideas also but mostly

Roast chicken and mash
Gammon
Cottage pie
Pasta (13 month old not a fan though)
Corn on the cobs are always a winner
Fish fingers
Beef stew
Salmon
Fishcakes
Pizza

All a bit dull

SerenityReynolds Wed 10-Feb-16 23:45:22

Thank you all! We give DD very similar things - the Annabel Karmel cottage pie is great, though I only ever do the meat bit and freeze that, then add the potato portion at the time. She eats with us at the weekend, so stuff like roast dinner, beef casserole, pulled pork etc. Weekdays are things like spag bol, chilli, jacket potatoes fishfingers, salmon. She used to love scrambled egg but went off it angry
Found some cous cous in the cupboard so might see if I can do something with that.
That pesto salmon also sounds yummy - I cheat and do salmon poached in the microwave for speed!
Have also just found a link to kids recipes on the CBeebies website and some of those look quite promising!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now