Talk

Advanced search

Sunday lunch for 8 - not a roast

(16 Posts)
Cloudybutwarm Wed 10-Feb-16 08:24:53

What would you make?

4 adults, 4 kids under 7. No one particularly fussy other than standard kid stuff (eg no oysters smile)

Thank you!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 10-Feb-16 08:31:45

I woukd be expecting sonething along the lines of soup and sandwiches/salad as we never, ever have a cooked meal for lunch. If you are cooking, probably lasagne or shepherds pie.

SalmonMaki Wed 10-Feb-16 08:34:50

Lasagne with salad and garlic bread; stew with rice or jacket potatoes; chilli con carne; quiches; fish pie?

Cloudybutwarm Wed 10-Feb-16 08:35:41

It will definitely be a cooked meal of some kind. All big meat eaters as well!

PurpleDaisies Wed 10-Feb-16 08:38:08

Jamie Oliver steal and Guinness pie with mash, gravy and vegetables. Big favourite here.

PurpleDaisies Wed 10-Feb-16 08:39:06

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/steak-guinness-and-cheese-pie-with-a-puff-pastry-lid/#P7mGlUKr7LOdamw1.97

We don't normally bother with the cheese.

ifigoup Wed 10-Feb-16 08:40:54

Hearty fish pie topped with some combination of mashed potato/sweet potato/carrot/cauliflower. Peas in the sauce and/or steamed broccoli on the side. Just what you need in cold wet weather.

Alwayscheerful Wed 10-Feb-16 08:41:13

Lasagne with garlic bread and salad.
Shepherds pie with lots of extra vegetables.
Chicken, beef or lamb casserole, with lots of extra vegetables.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 10-Feb-16 08:43:33

I made macaroni cheese for a crowd last week just because I had a craving for it. It was epic - and dead easy/forgiving if you dish up 15 minutes late. That and a big salad.

Borninthe60s Wed 10-Feb-16 09:00:02

My go to is beef bourgoignon with either rice or jacket spuds.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 10-Feb-16 09:07:02

I think a good casserole would be lovely and very easy as you could cook the day before.

ErgonomicallyUnsound Wed 10-Feb-16 13:26:50

Nigel Slaters chicken curry with mustard seeds and curry leaves (mild) served w rice, poppadoms, chutneys
Chicken souvlaki grilled with flatbreads, yoghurt coriander sauce
A couple of whole fish with boulangere potatoes and greens
Beef pie as mentioned above with mash and greens
Posh toad in the hole with sage and onion baked into batter, with hm onion gravy
Pulled pork baps with apple sauce, coleslaw, corn on the cob

Blondie1984 Wed 10-Feb-16 21:10:53

Tagine with buttered couscous

BlueBlueBelles Wed 10-Feb-16 21:13:35

When I used to have big dinners with my ex inlaws there were four adults and five kids. We would always do tray baked food - so lasange, pasta bake, roasted veg, jacket potatoes, chicken in tomato sauce. All the glass dishes went straight from oven shelf to table and people dished up as they wanted

MrsPnut Wed 10-Feb-16 21:18:28

I would make nigellas lemon garlic chicken www.nigella.com/recipes/view/slow-roasted-garlic-and-lemon-chicken-203 with some roasted new potatoes, salad and bread.

Otherwise it would be slow roasted belly pork with dauphinoise potatoes.

Ditsy4 Wed 10-Feb-16 21:39:09

Cumberland Tatie Pot.
I make mine with pork but some say lamb

Large oven tray or two. One and a half to two pork spare rib chops( not spare rib but pork which is like lamb steaks ask butcher) per adult, one for children. About 6 slices of black pudding.
Put onions sliced and pork or lamb into oven so crusts a bit both sides. Then remove and add half slices black pudding, part cooked carrot chunks, stock about a pint and a half per tray don't let it dry out add more if you need to. Then par boiled about 5-6 mins potatoes sliced and layered on top. Turn them once during cooking. Cook long and slow in low oven. About 2 1/2 hrs. The potato should be golden on top and meat falls off the bone soft and delicious. Serve with neeps. Turnip mashed and chunks of crusty bread. Great after a walk. Hairy Bikers probably do a proper recipe. You have to like black pudding because it makes the gravy and pieces to eat as well.
If they have room a good old fashioned pudding like rice pudding,Queen's Pudding, Lemon Delicious or cheese and biscuits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now