Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian, gluten free & prepare it in advance

(6 Posts)
sternfish Wed 03-Feb-16 14:41:01

I'm looking for easy, tasty, cheap and healthy recipes that I can make in advance so they are russled up quickly for dinner time. The catch is that we have a coeliac as well as a veggi in the family so they also need yo be meat and gluten free. Does anyone have any ideas they wouldn't mind sharing?

AnneLovesGilbert Wed 03-Feb-16 16:54:53

I'm sure people will come along with plenty of ideas but I made this last night and it was bloody lovely:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2141649/spinach-and-chickpea-curry

Took about 10 mins start to finish and sure it would be fine to freeze.

Coletterbox Wed 03-Feb-16 20:04:00

Here are a couple of lovely vegetable curries which would work -
www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/chickpea-curry/
www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/recipe-creamy-coconut-butternut-squash-curry/

ooosaidooo Fri 05-Feb-16 20:59:56

I have just bought the River cottage veg everyday book for the same reason. Loads of fantastic recipes, at the moment I am just swapping the flour and pasta for gluten free versions or buckwheat/quinoa/rice.

tkband3 Fri 05-Feb-16 21:10:00

Nigella's vegetarian chilli is fantastic and you could do it with either rice or jacket potatoes. Alternatively any vegetarian curry should be fine - again with rice... most supermarkets now sell g-f naan bread and poppadoms are generally fine (but check the label for allergens.

Another idea - veggie fajitas...all supermarkets sell g-f wraps which can be used as tortillas.

What about a chunky minestrone soup made with g-f pasta?

Quinoa mixed with roasted veg and chargrilled halloumi?

Vegetable lasagne made with g-f pasta...I make white sauce with rice flour - the recipe is on the Doves Farm packet. It makes the best white/cheese sauce ever and even if we didn't have to be g-f, I'd still make it this way. Or homemade tomato sauce with roasted veg, mixed with pasta and mozzarella to make a cheesy pasta bake...

WeSailTonightForSingapore Fri 05-Feb-16 21:21:03

There is a good aubergine and lentil moussaka on the bbc website; definitely a make ahead recipe and so delicious.

Seconding roast veg - you can do that in advance and then halloumi takes minutes in the skillet.

Gf veggie lasagna with aubergines and courgettes; or a mushroom spinach lasagne. I haven't got the recipes for this as they come from some ancient Italian cookbook.

I have made béchamel sauce for lasagne quite successfully with gf flour before. Gf lasagne sheets are pretty good but a bit tricky to get right.

I've ordered gf pastry blocks before as well, for quiches and things; they also have gf pastry 'Silly Yak' brand in Tesco.

Pizzas - the Tesco gluten free pizza is actually pretty good! This is the cheese and tomato base you can get in the free from freezer /chilled section (not the usual free from dry goods shelf).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now