Talk

Advanced search

What to do with trout?

(7 Posts)
dodobookends Sat 16-Jan-16 14:26:56

DH rather rashly said he'd like fish for dinner - something a bit different to the fish we usually have.

So I (equally rashly) have just bought two whole rainbow trout, some parsley and a lemon. I also have some garlic and dill, and some rather limp chives.

I'm thinking of baking in the oven - help please, what do I do?!!

AlpacaLypse Sat 16-Jan-16 14:52:33

Have they been gutted for you?

If they have, stuff some butter, lemon and parsley inside and also on top, wrap in foil, and then some more foil, because dribbling fish juices are a bugger to clean off the inside of the oven, and bake on a tray. With baby potatoes and salad or peas. And more butter to serve... mmmm!

dodobookends Sat 16-Jan-16 15:02:46

Yes, gutted. Oh yes, I've got some new potatoes, so I'll do those too. Thanks for the tip about the foil.

How about garlic? Shall I shove some of that in as well?

whifflesqueak Sat 16-Jan-16 15:05:49

I like it smoked in a rice and lentil salad with lots of finely diced peppers and tomatoes and parsley and the such.

maybe a bit summery for current climes.

cdtaylornats Sat 16-Jan-16 15:58:42

Not garlic you'll kill the taste of the trout.

wickedwaterwitch Sat 16-Jan-16 16:00:55

Agree with alpaca, oven bake in foil with butter and lemon

dodobookends Sat 16-Jan-16 20:44:23

Verdict - it turned out really well. Did the trick with foil, and stuffed with garlic butter, flat-leaf parsley, lemon and a little bit of dill. Lemon juice and seasoning over and all wrapped up and baked in the oven. They were quite big and needed 40 minutes. Yum.

I used garlic in the end as I've had trout once before and didn't like it all that much so wanted to add more flavouring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now