Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pancake party for 30-40 people - top tips please?

(8 Posts)
AChickenCalledKorma Thu 14-Jan-16 19:23:23

I'm organising a pancake party at church, probably for about 30-40 people - kids, adults and hungry teens. Anyone got any great tips for coping with the numbers and making sure they all get enough?

How many pancakes would you expect to get if you went to such an event? When we do pancakes at home, we are quite capable of eating 6-8 each, but that's not going to be managable! I've asked them all to bring their favourite topping, so I'm hoping they will have enough fun piling those on to be happy with 3 or 4. I will also provide some savoury nibbles, which they will hopefully fill up on a bit before the pancakes are ready.

I'm wondering whether to get a few people to cook a batch in advance, that can be warmed up in the oven. Will that work, or will they go leathery?

We'll also have a couple of frying pans on the go throughout the evening, but there isn't space for more than that. (The hungry teens all like cooking, so hopefully that will prevent them simply eating everything in sight grin)

MimsyBorogroves Thu 14-Jan-16 19:24:14

You're going to need a lot of tossers.

(Sorry, no real help. I would easily eat 6-8 too)

TheSpottedZebra Thu 14-Jan-16 19:27:12

DEF make them (or 90% of them) in advance! They'll be fine.
The advice I think is to layer them with leaves of greaseproof, but that would soon become expensive, so maybe experiment with other things like caster sugar between pancakes instead.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 14-Jan-16 19:28:09

You could do things like a pancake cake also. Made in advance.

Or baked pancakes in sauce.

CMOTDibbler Thu 14-Jan-16 19:28:51

Cook them in advance, layer with greaseproof paper, then warm them up in the frying pan.
I'd say 2-3 each at that sort of event, so maybe 80 in total.
Ask around to see who has those little camping stoves which run off a gas bottle like an aerosol - lots of hotels use those indoors to do eggs, so would be great for doing pancakes

Turquoisetamborine Thu 14-Jan-16 19:32:52

Are you doing crepes or scotch pancakes? Scotch pancakes are so much easier and less likely to get messed up. I find them more filling too.

AnnaMarlowe Thu 14-Jan-16 19:47:42

When our church has done this we have made at least half in advance. We also have a craft activity going at the same time in order to keep everyone busy.

AChickenCalledKorma Fri 15-Jan-16 08:09:15

Thanks everyone - this is great. Think I'm going to talk a few people into making a dozen each in advance. Having an activity running while we cook is a great idea, too.

And I wish there was a "like" button for mimsy's comment grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now