Talk

Advanced search

WTF to do with pearl barley?

(15 Posts)
diggerdigsdogs Wed 13-Jan-16 11:14:39

I have about 1kg of it.

We're moving in 3 weeks so trying to empty the pantry. We are also bones of our arse broke so it needs using over buying something in!

Any ideas?

WhataRacquet Wed 13-Jan-16 11:15:47

It's lovely in stew.

keely79 Wed 13-Jan-16 11:15:55

Treat like risotto - fry onion till soft, add pearl barley plus any veg you need to use up, then add stock bit by bit until soft.

HooseRice Wed 13-Jan-16 11:17:13

Add about 3 or 4 tablespoons, washed, to a pot of soup. Simmer for 20 or so mins.

I make a chicken or scotch broth with it. Very filling and healthy.

lazybones77 Wed 13-Jan-16 11:18:25

Boil for 40 minutes, add chopped spring onion, cubed roast beetroot, lemon juice and feta. It's delish.

lazybones77 Wed 13-Jan-16 11:26:36

Drain before you add the other bits and pieces. Just in case you didn't get that grin. I suppose you can add whatever you like. Treat it like cous cous.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 13-Jan-16 11:26:55

I bulk out soups with it to make them more like stew. So cook with leftover meat, veg, stock and a bay leaf if you have it.

dun1urkin Wed 13-Jan-16 11:32:41

Mmmm yes treat it as risotto to use up at a high volume (agree it's great in stews and soups)
It's v filling though, last time I made a pearl barley risotto I was very disappointed with how little I was able to eat. It was lovely.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 13-Jan-16 18:09:57

Scotch broth is delicious, I've used it to make congee too.

diggerdigsdogs Thu 14-Jan-16 08:39:56

Ah excellent! Thank you so much everyone, this is very much appreciated.

I'll try for a risotto tonight I think and then with roasted Beetroot and feta in the week <drools>

IhaveBrillohair I lived in China for a decade. Congee makes me envy <-not envy.

MrSlant Thu 14-Jan-16 08:41:51

Could I direct your attention to the best thread in the history of threads about pearl barley?

shouldiblowthewhistle Fri 15-Jan-16 19:09:23

My dutch parents used to have it for dessert - boil it, serve it (either hot or cold) with buttermilk and golden syrup. Really lovely!

Daffydil Fri 15-Jan-16 19:16:54

Chicken soup. It's delicious.

FishWithABicycle Fri 15-Jan-16 19:20:15

You can also make haggis with it! Easier than you think. Just boil up the barley with some stock (45 mins) fry up some onion and mince with lots and lots of pepper, allspice and a bit of cayenne and salt, stir in the barley, some suet and some oats. Not difficult at all.

Stuff the mixture into a boil-in-the-bag bag and boil for half an hour. Serve on Burns Night (coming up soon) with plenty of whisky and poetry.

FishWithABicycle Mon 18-Jan-16 08:36:02

I saw this article at the weekend and thought of this thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now