Talk

Advanced search

Slow cooker Coke ham

(9 Posts)
Cazm2 Fri 08-Jan-16 18:24:54

I am a slow cooker novice just been bought one! I have family coming for Sunday lunch soon and like the sound of the above receipe! I have a crock pot 3.5 litre does anyone know rough size of gammon I could fit? How much Coke? How long for? Could I do this day before and reheat in oven ? As I have 12 for sit down at 2pm unless I get up at six! Won't be done? Will be doing red cabbage cauliflower cheese and veg! Any sauce recommendations? I know gravy is a no! Will be serving chicken to as hungry family! Thank tou!

frikadela01 Fri 08-Jan-16 18:37:12

I bung the gammon in the slow cooker the day before and then on the day cover in honey and mustard and into the oven for half hour.
I also have it with gravy... don't really know why it's a no.

Not sure on size. As long as you can put the lid on and fill at least halfway with coke it'll be fine, I turn it after a few hours.

TolpuddleFarter Fri 08-Jan-16 18:42:59

Having done it in a slow cooker and done it on the hob, it turns out a lot better on the hob (it seems to go a bit stringy in the slow cooker in my experience.)

However you do it, you need 2l coke and an onion cut in half. Finish off in oven with treacle, mustard and demerara sugar glaze - it's all on Nigella's website

frikadela01 Fri 08-Jan-16 18:44:59

Ah yes nigella suggests using the left over coke juice stuff in some sort of bean recipe.

KP86 Fri 08-Jan-16 18:46:22

I agree that gammon in the slow cooker goes stringy - tried it with cider for our Christmas lunch. Not that it was bad, but it fell apart kind of like pulled pork rather than being like a cooked ham.

We have a 6.5L cooker and it just fit a 4.2kg gammon. So I wouldn't do anything more than 2-2.5kg.

Cazm2 Fri 08-Jan-16 18:56:51

Thank you! Have the nigella receipe trying to get ahead and do day before would it be ok wrapped in foil and warmed through!

KP86 Fri 08-Jan-16 19:52:37

Yes, you can definitely reheat the next day.

cdtaylornats Fri 08-Jan-16 20:49:26

My sister does this but with Orange Fanta instead of coke.

onitlikeacarbonnet Fri 08-Jan-16 21:16:44

DO NOT use the boiled up hammy-Coke-liquor for any purpose other than toilet cleaner!!!!

Sorry for shouting blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now