Talk

Advanced search

Bitter courgettes - can my pasta sauce be saved?

(6 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Tue 05-Jan-16 18:36:36

Made a massive batch of pasta sauce to use up some courgettes - bacon, garlic and grated courgettes all sautéed together, then added cream.
Tasted it to season it, and it's really bitter sad

Is there anything I can do - long simmer maybe? - to save it/cook out the bitterness?

Would be such a waste if I had to chuck it all! sad

Thanks flowers

TheHouseOnTheLane Wed 06-Jan-16 11:37:48

Add some sugar and some more cream....a teaspoon of sugar might help. Keep tasting it after adding a bit at a time.

TheWordOfBagheera Wed 06-Jan-16 11:55:02

Oh no, I've added rocket to a soup before it turned the whole batch too bitter to eat.

No idea if any of these work, but a quick google suggests 1) baking powder (no idea of mehanism), 2) salt (supposedly blocks the ability to taste the bitterness), 3) sugar/honey with added vinegar to balance the sweetness.

If you do try any of them, might be best to experiment on a small portion first!

TheHouseOnTheLane Thu 07-Jan-16 01:17:30

I hate courgettes. They taste like plastic to me.

bookbook Thu 07-Jan-16 11:26:06

Bit late here, but if its the courgettes that are bitter, then bin - they may have grown under stress, and they produce curcubitins, which can give you a nasty tummy ache if in high quantities

HuevosRancheros Thu 07-Jan-16 13:56:52

Thank you all flowers

I did indeed bin sad

Simmering made no difference, and I was a bit concerned about the curcubitins as one site I found said that they could be "toxic" in high enough quantities. It wasn't for me but 7yo DD, so I didn't want to risk it.

Such a shame, guess I need to try a bit of raw courgette before I cook it next time, don't actually like them raw but guess it's worth it! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now