Quick question about breadmakers

(10 Posts)
GrillPanEddy Sun 03-Jan-16 12:42:20

I got one for christmas (Panasonic sd2500) and am about to use it for the first time.... Can I leave out some of the salt or reduce it somewhat?

MadauntofA Sun 03-Jan-16 12:45:00

Yes, I only use about half, but most manufactured breads have quite a lot of salt so if you are not used to making your own it might be better to reduce slowly otherwise you will notice a big difference in taste

VegetablEsoup Sun 03-Jan-16 12:50:01

yes. I use much less salt than it says in most recipes. I use half a teaspoon (5g) for a 600g flour loaf

(don't use a breadmaker anymore since mine broke after 10 years of constant use)

GrillPanEddy Sun 03-Jan-16 12:56:42

Great thanks. Just conscious of the DC's salt intake...

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Sun 03-Jan-16 16:05:15

How much is your recipe saying? I put a scant teaspoon per large loaf, but if you use none it goes all wrong!

originalmavis Sun 03-Jan-16 16:07:52

You can just use a good pinch. Ignore the dire warnings that comes with these machines that if you don't use a bucketful of salt it will kill you.

Onykahonie Sun 03-Jan-16 17:45:00

I tried reducing the salt and found the loaves collapsed as the yeast goes into overdrive. I use a scant tsp for a large loaf...any less than ½ tsp in a medium loaf hasn't worked for me in the breadmaker, but is ok in pizza bases etc, if you use the dough setting.

GrillPanEddy Sun 03-Jan-16 19:18:07

I think it says 1 and a quarter teaspoons but not sure what size loaf that's for..

lavendersun Sun 03-Jan-16 19:54:48

I use a Panasonic bread maker (steel one no idea of model number) and don't mind the salt even though I add very little in cooking.

I add 1 1/4 tsp for 500g flour.

Interesting read

www.weekendbakery.com/posts/salt-in-bread-baking-how-much-and-why/

Chchchchangeabout Sun 03-Jan-16 20:17:55

I use less than a teaspoon but find with no salt at all it tastes rubbish. Also recommend Cinammon instead of sugar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now