Talk

Advanced search

simple recipe book

(9 Posts)
magpie17 Wed 30-Dec-15 23:59:58

Can somebody recommend a simple recipe book? I can cook a bit so I don't need 'how to boil an egg' type books but I use a lot of jars and packets of stuff when I'm cooking. I'm going to be starting weaning soon and am keen to cook stuff that we can all eat so need a recipe book which would have simple things like pasta sauces, chilli, shepherds pie etc etc so i can learn to cook these from scratch and not use jars which are full of crap.

Any suggestions? Probably those ones aimed at students or something!

StealthPolarBear Thu 31-Dec-15 00:01:18

I find the bbc good food website good for this sort of thing

nailslikeknives Thu 31-Dec-15 00:10:35

Fay's family food is brilliant.

CalmYoBadSelf Thu 31-Dec-15 00:14:27

Delia Smith is always good for simple recipes that always work

Mary Berry's Complete Cookery course is good as it gives you extra info and guidance at the beginning of each section. Her recipes are also easy and work well

Goodbetterbest Thu 31-Dec-15 00:20:22

Jamie's ministry of food is good.

antimatter Thu 31-Dec-15 00:27:16

If you look at older threads on this forum you'll find some which have very simple dishes such as those:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food_and_recipes/2045870-One-easy-dish-I-really-like-tell-me-yours

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food_and_recipes/948096-rubbish-cook-needs-simple-recipes-for-us-and-9month-baby

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food_and_recipes/1945499-Simple-recipe-ideas-to-go-with-rice-please

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food_and_recipes/488914-has-anyone-got-a-simple-idiotproof-cheese-sauce-recipe-please

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food_and_recipes/286074-does-anyone-have-some-really-simple-recipes-for-stuff-that

(and lots more if you search for "simple recipes" or "simple recipe")

print few of them, make shopping list and come back on here if you need any help!

TheSpottedZebra Thu 31-Dec-15 00:31:14

YY to Jamie Oliver Ministry of Food. I always recommend it on these types of threads. It's great for 'dinners', and starts from scratch and assumes no experience but isn't patronising. Plus it builds on say -a basic mince recipe, with a fee tweaks can be pasta sauce, Shepherds pie, etc etc.

The library would almost certainly have it so you could have a squizz.

magpie17 Thu 31-Dec-15 09:21:30

Thanks so much everyone! I will have a look around at your suggestions, much appreciated!

lastqueenofscotland Fri 01-Jan-16 11:25:01

Good food, any of the Jamie or delia books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now