Vegetarian Caribbean recipes anyone?

(15 Posts)

I'm looking for a really good t&t recipe for rice and peas. Maybe a veggie curry of some sort, perhaps with coconut milk? Is there anything else I should know about? I want to make a New Year feast!

Thanks in advance. smile

Bunbaker Fri 25-Dec-15 23:05:44

Ignore the chicken part, but this recipe for rice and peas looks easy.

Some nice looking recipes here

tethersend Fri 25-Dec-15 23:12:36

Nigella's is far and away the best Rice and peas recipe- here

Would be nice with something like this.

I think it might be a coconut overload if you did coconut curry with rice and peas.

Thanks, both.

There is no such thing as a coconut overload imho. grin

Trust Nigella's recipe to have a zillion more ingredients than any other! That jerk curry sounds good apart from fiendish tinned tomatoes.

Ahh - the huge list is for the chicken. Sorry!

sandyposy Sat 26-Dec-15 22:56:32

www.cookingwithria.com/?m=1 has some Trinidad recipes that are tasty and easy to follow. The nigella recipe is more like Jamaican rice and peas. In Trinidad you'd more make a vegetarian pelau rather than rice and peas. So start off with burning brown sugar in hot oil to add colour and smoky taste, then add pigeon peas (gungo peas, I prefer green ones rather than dried. Then add to that a mix of onion, garlic, pumpkin that you've sauteed till soft, some long grain rice and some coconut milk and water, plus plenty of seasoning. Stir while cooking. Or could do bhaji (spinach) rice with stewed peas , latter is same as above basically but without the rice. Serve with fried plantain, macaroni pie ( not Mac n cheese!), salad. Ria's site has loads of great recipes. Could also Google veggy rundown, a Jamaican dish of veg (and usually meat/fish too) cooked with coconut milk.

Thank you. smile

Rundown sounds perfect!

sandyposy Tue 29-Dec-15 13:19:30

Great re rundown. I think would be nice with the peas and rice too. My other half is Trinidadian and its traditional to cook up a pot of it for NYE. Happy new year!

whois Tue 29-Dec-15 13:24:54

I like this, but it needs something fresh tasting like a mango salsa or something to go with it.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2835667/jerk-sweet-potato-and-black-bean-curry

Am doing a bastardised rundown-esque thing and rice and peas.

Thanks, Who. I saw that one but can't eat it as it contains tinned tomato (AKA the juicy red globules of Satan).

whois Wed 30-Dec-15 12:34:16

Ah and it was already linked to up above anyway - sorry :-)

No problem at all - don't apologise!

Hopefully the bump will encourage others to add more recipes, as I'd definitely like to try more.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 30-Dec-15 14:28:14

Have you googled ital food? It's rastafari veggie (poss vegan?) food. I ate really well in Jamaica!

Thanks, Zebra. I will now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now