Talk

Advanced search

Jamie Oliver red cabbage disaster

(21 Posts)
mouldycheesefan Thu 24-Dec-15 17:21:59

yuck it's way too vinegary it's vile. Do not use this recipe! Trying to rescue mine now. Disappointed

margaritasbythesea Thu 24-Dec-15 17:24:15

Thank you. I was going to do this tomorrow.

987flowers Thu 24-Dec-15 17:57:28

I'm doing the Christmas one from good food, I think this is the one I did last year (I really should have made a note of which one I used!)
It has orange juice and port in it. Hope you can sort it

antimatter Fri 25-Dec-15 00:58:02

How can you rescue it?
I made mine from another recipe and put far too much vinegar too! And juise from one lemon (stupid me!)

So far I squeezed some juices out.
Anything else?

UninventiveUsername Fri 25-Dec-15 01:00:26

I've done a red cabbage with beetroot one and if it's similar I think adding more sugar would help rescue it from too much vinegar and lemon.

Thesunrising Fri 25-Dec-15 01:01:08

I made this Jamie recipe today. I bunged in a couple of extra spoons of brown sugar. Also I think his cabbage must be really small cos his recipe says it serves 4 but I've used one cabbage and it's enough to serve 8!

Thesunrising Fri 25-Dec-15 01:03:01

Also I had to braise my cabbage for at least 2 hours and not 1 like the recipe stated. It's still quite crunchy!

LondonEasy Fri 25-Dec-15 03:21:28

Hmm I have the same thing going on. Last year I had a great recipe. Used wine and orange juice this year. Does not seem right.
Getting a bit fed up with how much sugar there is in everything, Cranberry sauce, mulled red cabbage, honey glazed carrots, Thinking to change carrots to garlic and thyme roasted but they are not baby carrots,

Peeled parsnips too early. Didn't realise I should do them last.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 25-Dec-15 03:45:21

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lambredwineandrosema_71047 Never fails. The stew and potatoes are OK, the cabbage is first rate.

Out2pasture Fri 25-Dec-15 03:53:22

The Jamie recipe I use calls for 1/4 c Balsamic. I use an excellent grade thick one almost like a reduction.

antimatter Fri 25-Dec-15 09:00:40

I"ll try to add more sugar.

I just realised last year I used Sophie Grigson recipe from this link:
www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3657235/The-13-days-of-Christmas-day-10.html

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 25-Dec-15 09:07:10

You need to balance out the acidity so yes to more sugar. Dunno the JO recipe but I put in red wine and balsamic so maybe stick a good glug of wine in?

LondonEasy Fri 25-Dec-15 10:26:30

Oh no my mulled cabbage tastes bland.This is turning into a disaster.

Have no idea how to recover cabbage, which has red wine, orange juice, lemon zest, orange zest and a clementine with cloves in it plus bay leaf.

I'm going to try adding balsamic, maybe I have to add sugar.

TheBestChocolateIsFree Fri 25-Dec-15 10:43:51

I do my red cabbage in the left over Coke in which I cooked the Nigella ham in Coca Cola. Add a slosh of red wine vinegar and Bob's your uncle.

antimatter Fri 25-Dec-15 13:47:52

wine and apples def are adding acidity.
after draining liqid it tastes a bit better
I used 350 ml red wine vinegar whilst should have used no more than 2-3 tbsps (30-45ml)!!!!

HeffalumpTrap Fri 25-Dec-15 14:34:30

We quite often have this, reduce it for ages. Are the apples all caramelised and sweet to balance the acidity?

Wolpertinger Fri 25-Dec-15 14:55:50

Add a shit load of sugar. At a push Ribena.

ouryve Fri 25-Dec-15 15:08:45

After a disaster a couple of years ago that I only got around to fishing out of the bottom of the freezer and disposing of, this summer, I winged it, this year. Used orange juice and just adjusted the vinegar until it as a pleasant shade of purple. Best I've done yet.

And yes, it needs a good couple of hours to be right.

antimatter Fri 25-Dec-15 15:34:23

Mine had 4 big apples. Maybe not caramelised enough but added sugar as per recipe. Just far too much od vinagret.
Lesson learned.
It tastes more like a pickle!

LondonEasy Fri 25-Dec-15 22:57:47

Well great thread. Rescued it with sugar, yuck! Seems I should have put have apple in it.

bitofabelly Fri 01-Jan-16 20:59:42

Delias red cabbage recipe is my go to year after year. I cook it in a crock pot for 2hrs in oven.. yum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now