Talk

Advanced search

Question about making chocolate ganache ...

(5 Posts)
Merguez Thu 24-Dec-15 15:51:01

... to cover the yule log. Mary Berry recipe. Says use dark chocolate 35 - 40% cocoa solids. Well I have bought Green & Blacks 70%. I know this is not at all sweet. Ganache recipe is just chocolate and cream. Should I add some icing sugar to counteract the bitter chocolate?

Not going back to shops to buy more chocolate I have 4 bars of the stuff & it costs a fecking fortune. And not going out again until Boxing Day.

987flowers Thu 24-Dec-15 18:05:58

Sorry I don't know but I make mine with 35p cheap chocolate and it's delicious so don't waste your money on pricey chocolate next time.

If you aren't planning on buying any more then shove a bit of sugar in and see what it's like (I'd be tempted to sit in a corner and just eat my way through each bar!)

DesertOrDessert Thu 24-Dec-15 18:17:13

I'd put a bit less chocolate than cream (assuming a 50:50 recipie), and a little golden syrup if you have any. The ganache isn't as bitter as the choc becasue of the cream, so don't add too much.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Thu 24-Dec-15 18:39:24

You might find it splits - the problem isn't taste/sweetness, it's that too high a cocoa content can turn it grainy.

If you have a bar of ordinary milk chocolate, you might want to add a bit of that in, replacing some of the 70% stuff.

Or just cover the log in a snowstorm of sieved icing sugar and scoff the green and black's. i would. fwink

Merguez Thu 24-Dec-15 18:40:41

Have just realised I have got some cheapo milk chocolate bits for baking choc chip cookies in the cupboard - reckon if I substitute some of those for the 70% should all even out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now