Talk

Advanced search

Could anyone share a good stuffing recipe?

(16 Posts)
whataboutbob Mon 21-Dec-15 13:15:03

I'll be doing chicken and need a good recipe for stuffing, involving sausage meat and onions. Just a list of ingredients and rough guide would be enough.
Also do you cook it inside or outside the bird? Many thanks

FoofFighter Mon 21-Dec-15 13:17:56

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/gingerbread-stuffing

I made this one year but adapted slightly to include sausagemeat, it was DIVINE. I made it seperately.

FoofFighter Mon 21-Dec-15 13:18:22

I think actually I switched the bacon out for the sausagemeat.

Lunaballoon Mon 21-Dec-15 14:22:07

This Nigel Slater recipe is amazing though it does make a huge amount. You could easily halve the ingredients. I usually cook it separately from the bird cos I like my stuffing crispy on top.

unsalted butter 1 tbsp

goose fat 1 tbsp

onions 4 medium, thinly sliced

cloves of garlic 2, chopped finely

leek 1, sliced into thin half moons

thyme 2 tbsp, chopped finely

leaves of sage 6, chopped finely

port ¼ cup

chestnuts 200g, vacuum-packed, chopped roughly

sausage meat 1kg

apples 200g, chopped into small chunks

eggs 2

Maldon salt

fresh ground black pepper

sourdough breadcrumbs 500g

In a medium-sized pot, heat the butter and goose fat together, then sauté the onions and garlic. Once softened, add the leek and chopped herbs. Add the port and bubble away for a few moments. Cook until unctuous.

If you buy the vacuum packs of chestnuts they can be blanched for a moment in their plastic, then chopped up in small chunks.

In a large bowl, make your stuffing. Mix all the ingredients together, adding the breadcrumbs last. The mixture should be sticky and moist, not too dry.

If you have too much stuffing you can make stuffing scones. Just shape the mixture into smallish blobs and bake on a greased oven tray for 20 minutes at 220C/gas mark 7 until firmish, brown and crisp. Keep warm, or flash in the oven just before serving.

bookbook Mon 21-Dec-15 17:22:35

This is my old family recipe. It makes loads, and I chop it into squares and freeze. -Sorry as its old, the weights are imperial

1 lb sausage meat
1/2 lb suet
1/2 lb breadcrumbs
1 lb grated onions
3 eggs
sage to taste

mix all ingredients (except eggs) together.season with sage (usually about a tablespoon dried sage, but I do it by look and smell! ) , then add beaten eggs.
spread into a well greased baking tin (or line with parchment)
bake for 1 hour 30 mins - 2 hours at 140º
better if cooked, and allowed to cool, then reheated

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 21-Dec-15 17:30:36

Delia Smith, simple and delicious

1 kg sausagemeat
4 heaped tablespoons white breadcrumbs
1 large onion finely chopped or grates
I heaped dessert spoon dried sage
A little boiling water
1 beaten egg, optional.

whataboutbob Mon 21-Dec-15 17:56:25

Wow there are a lot of stuffers out there! Thanks so much. It's lovely to have all this inspiration as i rarely make stuffing, I tried one year, put it inside the bird and it was a bit of a disaster (tasted off, fell apart). Lunaballoon thanks for going to the trouble of including Nigel Slater's recipe, I may try it but failing that will fall back on the Delia or the nigella. Thanks again and I hope this page gives other inspiration for stuffing! xxx

whataboutbob Mon 21-Dec-15 17:57:29

Bookbook thanks so much for including your family's recipe, it is really kind. There's sage on my allotment so its a great one to have.

SSargassoSea Mon 21-Dec-15 18:02:52

I don't like using sausagemeat, makes it a bit heavy, instead breadcrumbs, chopped onion, dried sage, mixed herbs, rub in fat or add oil. Beaten egg to bind. Roll into balls and roast in oven.

MrsNutella Mon 21-Dec-15 19:54:26

I'm loving the stuffing recipes! Thank you for the question op.

Even I did chuckle a little bit to myself with the usual childish stuffing jokes grin

derxa Mon 21-Dec-15 19:58:04

I make that Delia recipe every year. I love stuffing and there's usually 3 kinds chez nous grin

derxa Mon 21-Dec-15 19:59:46

Don't put it in the bird. Cook separately in a small loaf tin

whethertheweather Mon 21-Dec-15 21:17:27

Does anyone have a recipe for an apricot stuffing I could use with lamb? Found one online but it involves cous cous and DH thinks that's the devil's work!

whataboutbob Mon 21-Dec-15 21:49:29

Ha ha whether I grew up in Algeria and i must say i was bemused when it got fashionable in the 90s and started appearing in all sorts of incarnations (over there it's basically only ever eaten with a light stew of chicken/ red meat plus vegetables, or v occasionally as a base for a celebration sweet couscous). I would have thought the graininess might not work too well in a stuffing.
Anyway I digress. Thanks to everyone for their contributions and I hope the thread will be useful as people plan their Christmas meals. As the kids love stuffing I may end up trying out 2 of the recipes. Will make sure to cook them in a tin Derxa.

amsingleagain Tue 22-Dec-15 17:20:36

I've got a box of Paxo which I want to use, but i also want to add stuff to it, maybe leeks, cranberries and chopped nuts.

whataboutbob Fri 25-Dec-15 20:47:48

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great recipes. I have put my stuffing hang ups to rest for good. I did the Nigel Slater (but without the chestnuts) and it was delicious, my boys wolfed the balls down. Next time I'll try ThroughThickandThin's family recipe. Hope you are all having good Christmases xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now