Talk

Advanced search

Dinners over Christmas (but not Xmas day)...totally out of ideas!

(11 Posts)
AngelOnTop Thu 17-Dec-15 19:54:46

I need inspiration for the following. Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Xmas Eve dinner for three adults and two children. Needs to be fairly easy, and filling but not too rich/stodgy.

Two other main course dinner ideas - maybe bit special/impressive - for 4-6 people, for entertaining in between Xmas and NY.

Any ideas?

The only things off the menu are: lamb, very fishy fish, creamy sauces.

Thank you to anyone who can help me! grin

lougle Thu 17-Dec-15 20:48:44

How about: Xmas Eve - Chicken breasts stuffed with Philadelphia and wrapped in bacon, with new potatoes and green beans.

Other meals: Beef bourguignon with celeriac mash. Or Chicken Pilaf.

HomeMeasurements Fri 18-Dec-15 08:26:23

Having same conundrum. Christmas Eve all my suggestions have been vetoed by DH! I think I'll go for something slow cooked like pork shoulder and make a ragu to have with nice bread and salad so will be minimally labour intensive but warming and special enough.

HomeMeasurements Fri 18-Dec-15 08:28:02

Ooh actually just seen Camembert on offer so may do nice bread, cheese, ham, salad type spread.

Acunningruse Fri 18-Dec-15 08:32:57

Christmas eve we have fish pie, can be made the night before and just put in the oven in evening.

Festive entertaining- we are having friends over for dinner tomorrow night and I am doing duck with Delias cherry sauce (just cherry jam and dash red wine!) with potato rosti (M&S blush) and green beans wrapped in Parma ham with Baileys cheesecake for dessert.

For boxing day I will do a ham in honey and mustard glaze with new potatoes, Winter coleslaw, and a cheeseboard. Trifle for pudding

Lunaballoon Fri 18-Dec-15 09:05:30

After all the rich Xmas foods, I like some fresh Asian flavours during the week before NY. Beef rendang, salmon/chicken teriyaki, Thai curries, chicken/pork satay, zingy salads are favourites here.

SquadGoals Fri 18-Dec-15 09:06:20

I'd do something completely different from the roasts that you will have over Christmas.

Something like a Mexican feast with make your own fajitas, spicy wedges/rice, chips and dip.

Or pulled pork in rolls with wedges, coleslaw and salad/corn on the cob.

We're entertaining in between Christmas and New Year and are doing a Southern Hemisphere themed meal with bobotie, pavlova etc. One night we are also doing a sushi party.

KubelkoBondy Fri 18-Dec-15 19:02:50

I came on here to post asking the exact same question! Don't know what to do - have people staying and am not the most enthusiastic cook - personally speaking would be quite happy with toast and a packet of crisps! Also am a vegan but have a meat eating family who like a traditional spread...

I have thought of chicken breasts with pesto wrapped in Parma ham

Or instead salmon fillets with a dollop of pesto wrapped in foil with squeeze of lemon, olive oil and some seasoning.
Maybe with new pots and salad?

I like the idea of Asian type food...maybe a stir fry?

Jacket potatoes and salad and cold meat?

sigh

Feeling rather uninspired

Thai curry with loads of vegetables, and spring rolls and stuff on the side.

katienana Fri 18-Dec-15 19:11:14

tina-cookerybookchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2008/03/korean-beef-with-avocado-rice-rachels.html?m=1

Rachel Allens korean beef with avocado rice. Its really easy and packed with flavour I think it would be great for a simple main course at a dinner party you could get ready made spring rolls, crab cakes etc to start to take the pressure off.

minniebear Fri 18-Dec-15 19:17:31

We always have ham and chips on Christmas Eve-a big roasting joint of ham and then pickled onions, salad etc, but I love these ideas for other meals!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now