Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Devils on horseback - preparing in advance

(10 Posts)
LoveMILbut Thu 17-Dec-15 17:13:43

I thought I was so organised confused
Bacon currently in freezer. Dates now in cupboard.

Can I defrost bacon, wrap round dates, cook and then refreeze, or have I shot myself in the foot?

Any help appreciated!

Yarpyarp Thu 17-Dec-15 17:17:36

I don't know whether cooking and freezing again will be any good when defrosted but watching with interest as these were a pain to do on the day last year.

TheCrowFromBelow Thu 17-Dec-15 17:20:08

Aren't they made with prunes? Sorry, not helpful I know! If it's any consolation I'm just looking at the long list of gifts I haven't bought yet, the masses of food prep I have to do and the very few days left before the day itself.
Anyway back to your Devils - I'd just make them on the day and pre-prep something else like some of the veg.

LoveMILbut Thu 17-Dec-15 17:55:52

Prunes?! Oh.... Well I'm not known for my ability to follow a recipe!
Making on the day - not going to happen.

I would think it'll be OK, I'm cooking the bacon before refreezing it....right?

LoveMILbut Thu 17-Dec-15 20:53:46

yarpyarp USDA food safety says if bacon defrosted in refrigerator, you have 7 days to refreeze uncooked bacon. The salt protects the texture.

How I cook the raw but frozen devils on horseback is the next question!

Yarpyarp Thu 17-Dec-15 22:30:19

Oh, yes to prunes! And I thought there was a chipolata in the middle, ie the 'horse' and then prune being the 'devil'. Anyway, I googled it and I am wrong, but what the heck, they taste amazing...

Been having the refreezing/cooking debate this evening and didn't know that about bacon so thanks for that.

So why don't you defrost the bacon a day or 2 before, prep them and cook without refreezing or am I missing something?

I would never even think to freeze cooked bacon - one to try I guess!

LakeFlyPie Thu 17-Dec-15 22:37:19

I'd defrost bacon, wrap prunes and keep in fridge happily for 2-3 days.
I think devils on horseback are prunes in bacon and pigs in blankets are little sausages in bacon.

Penfold007 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:45:08

Dates????? You need stoned prunes. Just buy a fresh pack of streaky bacon, wrap away and keep in the fridge for a day or two.

Jux Thu 17-Dec-15 22:45:16

You're right, LakeFlyPie.

We have devils on horseback and pigs in blankets every year. We all muck in making them, but then, we don't have Xmas lunch, just a large smorgasbord. xMas lunch occurs on Boxing day.

Roast them in the oven at a highish heat for about 20 mins.

LoveMILbut Fri 25-Dec-15 21:02:34

Thanks all. You are right, I bow to MN wisdom :-)

Prunes it was, I defrosted the bacon a couple of days ago, and just did the prep today. They were delicious, I feel proud of myself!

Thanks again, Merry Christmas all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now